[Calendar] Create a single course calendar entry across multiple classes

When you have an event that applies to multiple classes it would be Great to enter the event once and have it post to multiple course calendars.

What I would like is a way to enter the same assignment for multiple

classes, without having to type it in 3 or 4 different times.  For example:

We use the ALEKS Math program. I want to enter an 'ALEKS' work day for all

my classes, without having to retype it.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
triciaalpers
Community Member

I know and who has time to go and just look around to see what people have suggested to "vote" for it.

djordan325
Community Novice

Aleks Math Aleks science

jherman1
Community Novice

I appreciate that there are limited resources, but there are hundreds (more likely thousands) of institutions PAYING to use Canvas. It shouldn't be so rudimentary. This is not a fancy feature or wishful thinking. It's insanely basic and should've been part of the initial design. It shouldn't be something that needs to be requested or begged for. 

The same goes for being able to post an announcement to multiple classes.

Every single school has events that they want to share with students. All full-time professors have office hours to post. Every school has holidays and deadlines. It is absurd that notifying students in different courses of things that apply across the campus is so tedious and time-consuming.

rnewburn
Community Novice

Agreed.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 6:11 PM jherman@cypresscollege.edu <

djordan325
Community Novice

For me just about starting ....I’m all for that the lesser the better

lglen
Community Explorer

You are entitled to your opinion, of course! Let me know how you feel a year from now when you've been forced to use a system you don't like that doesn't work in some very basic ways.

Keep in mind too that just because a feature exists doesn't mean you have to use it. I didn't know I wanted it until I started managing multiple courses.

michstevens16
Community Novice

I found a way around it:

• create a Canvas calendar in 1 course
  • copy the ical link (calendar feed bottom right)
  • Create a new calendar in Google using URL:
    • Open your Google calendar
    • Click on the dropdown next to “Other Calendars” located on the left side menu
    • Select “Add by URL”
    • paste that URL into the URL field
    • Click “Add Calendar"
  • Go to the SETTINGS for that calendar by clicking on the ellipses after the calendar name
    • Add a Title to the calendar
    • Go to the Integrate section, just below the Embed Code, click the Customize link.
      • Modify the color, size, and add calendar title (top left). Its important that you do all this before you copy the Code to Embed.
    • Copy Code to Embed: Click the copy button to the far right
  • In Canvas, go to page you want to include your calendar and click Edit
    • Click HTML Editor (right)
    • Locate:  '<p>&nbsp</p>'   
    • highlight characters between the > and < and paste over it to Embed Code. If the editor is blank, just paste code.
    • Save and test it.
  • Copy HTML code for this course (go back into HTML, select and copy), to the courses you want to include the same calendar. 
  • OR FORGET the calendar in CANVAS, and use Google Calendar, just embed code into Canvas page using HTML link.
  • Note: Plan ahead, any changes you make to the Canvas calendar may take several hours to show up in the Google calendar; its a Google issue, not a Canvas issue.
powelwc
Community Novice

You are a genius! Thanks!

William Powell

michstevens16
Community Novice

Not a genius, but always looking for shortcuts! Smiley Happy

Michelle Stevens, MSEd., MBA

CTE - Business Teacher/Career Development Coordinator

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin

patricia_braun
Community Member

Oh Michael, that seems like SOOOOOmuch work.  This was requested in 2015.  It is 2019.  Don't you think it could be added to the system by now?  Come on, Canvas.  Please make more user-friendly.