[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

I think I have come up with a work around.  In the New Quizzes tool you can award partial points for different answers.  If you used that for your RUBRIC students could take a Quiz that gave them points based on criteria.  I still would like to see a robust self-evaluation tool similar to the peer reviewed rubrics.

pibion
Community Member

This would be incredibly useful for my physics class!

I am interested in using this feature to make it easier for students to evaluate and improve their work on projects.

molly_jameson
Community Member

Did this ever become a feature?

maarten_devos
Community Explorer

No, unfortunately  not. We hope to see it soon taken in to consideration.

DrSop
Community Member

I too would like to see Canvas make it possible for students to complete a rubric for themselves. Students can complete rubrics for peer reviews but I cannot assign a student to be their own peer reviewer. This simple change might make it possible for students to complete a rubric as a self-assessment in Canvas.

mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

The best work around I have discovered is that in the new version of quizzes you can assign different point values to different responses and create a "self-assessment" by putting the criteria in each multiple choice answer.  3 of the people on my team are using this technique to do self assessments on science journalsScreen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.09.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.10.14 AM.png

jwalsh1
Community Participant

The fact that this is still not available is a real disappointment. The ability to self-assess against the same rubric I use to assess would be such a valuable learning experience for students. When is this ever going to become a reality??

DrSop
Community Member

@mitchelljorgens The problem with the new quiz workaround is that you can only select one answer as correct. So even though I use the partial credit option, it 1. still tells the students that their answer was wrong, which causes them undue stress, and 2. I have to go in and individually grade each submission that didn't choose the 1 "right" answer, when in fact in my case, there are 2 "right" answers, which causes extra work for me.

atc
Community Member

This is an awesome idea and exactly what I'm trying to do! Did this ever come to fruition? How can I find out?

dhelms802
Community Explorer

How does this feature idea get reintroduced into the Voting structure?