[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dhelms802 This idea remains actively monitored and is "open for conversation," i.e. it is available for members to comment and add their ratings: What is the feature development process for Instructure products? and How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? provide context.

Elvis_Presley
Community Member

It's been over five years. Very disappointing.

djohansen
Community Member

This is exactly what I need! It seems fairly straightforward that the rubric tool be useful to the students as well as the teachers. If I am missing something here, please let me know. I would LOVE a rubric that the students can interact with and check off, so they can check their own work and peer edit. Right now I have to give them paper copies of the rubric I create on Canvas so they can interact with it. Seems like it would be easy to give students access to interacting with the rubric themselves. If it's easier, I'd love a simply checklist feature for my students to use as they check their work or steps of an assignment. Right now, I have to embed GoogleForms for them to interact with. Seems like Canvas can easily make this. 

maarten_devos
Community Explorer

Indeed this idea exists already a long time and Instructure doesn't give any sign that this needed change will be planned in the feature. It's some how disappointing.

roberta_niche
Community Participant

Super interested in this. Very needed.

elisat
Community Participant

I just talked with a faculty member for whom this would be very helpful. It would be really nice to see this feature get added.

dwilliams8
Community Explorer

We need this feature!

mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

I thought I had made this comment before, but I don't see it today.  There is a pretty effective workaround (which is unfortunate that we have to create a workaround after this being ignored for 5 years).

The workaround is available if you are using new quizzes.  You can set up a quiz with each category of your self evaluation rubric as a question and then use the option to give different points for different answers.  I use this for my students to self-evaluate their science journaling in my middle school class.  They self check for each day of the journal and based on their answer it awards different points, which adds all the points up and gives them an overall score for the journal.  I include the success criteria as the different answers and then assign point values to each success criterion. 

MsAntman
Community Explorer

I would love to have a self assessment rubric for my student artists. It seems like an odd thing not to have since I have been able to do it in google forms for years. Maybe they will make this update soon. I will have to try the new quizzes option.

bell7368
Community Member

My institution is transitioning away from one assessment platform to another, and we have one dispositional assessment that is a clickable rubric format. Instructors use the same rubric to evaluate, and this is done four times through the student's program. It will be hugely frustrating if we finally move to an assessment platform that integrates with our LMS, but this basic function is missing!