Create an UNDO button in Content Editor

(3)
I know that this request has been archived.  However, I would like to resubmit this request.  Having an undo button adds to the ease of use and familiarity among programs/platforms.  Ctrl-Z is an option, but not all users (including students) are familiar with this option.  When you change the formatting on a page and you decide you don't like it, it would be nice to have a simple icon that can lead you to go back for a do-over.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

38 Comments
arovner
Community Contributor

It IS a gem - thank you so much!!

Amy

dhulsey
Community Champion

In fact, since Canvas is open source, people can download the source code, modify it, and host their customized instance of Canvas -- whether that is adding an undo button on the RTE editor or anything else.

I am not looking to escalate a conversation into a conflict, but it is worth pointing out that no users are paying for the software. The software is free. Instructure customers pay for Instructure to host an instance of Canvas and for technical support and training packages. At least, that is my understanding of how things work. Do I have that right,  @scottdennis ​?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @dhulsey ​,

Yes, that is correct.  We open source Canvas.  Anyone may legally download the software and run it on their own servers.  I know that many groups and institutions choose to do that when their user are not allowed to access the cloud (ie; prisoners) or when they cannot legally have student information hosted on systems existing in the United States (ie; parts of Canada).  Having said that I am not aware of any groups who have chosen to host their own Canvas instances simply to reduce cost or increase their own autonomy.  You have the business model correct; open source the software and the sell hosting, support, integration and training.  Some resources that incur significant costs for us including documentation and community are provided at not cost or without limitation on who can participate or consume.  Also in this middle ground area, anyone may use as many cloud hosted free classes for as long as they like without any feature limitation (Free for Teacher) but without admin or institutional support or access.

As for the issue of whether or not to add an Undo button to the RCE; for some this would be an obvious improvement.  For others they would see it as unnecessary clutter of the user interface.  I suspect that where you fall on this issue mainly has to do with the average technical sophistication of your students.  Personally I can see both points of view.  There is a quite a range in how people use Canvas and what their priorities are - a necessary reality with Canvas being used in many settings.  Feature voting is one tool we have to help understand where people fall out on that spectrum. 

dhulsey
Community Champion

I didn't know about the prisons and Canada. That is interesting. Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Scott.

stephanie_johns
Community Novice

@kona ​ YES: Revision history for assignments!

And, instead of or equivalent to a preview page option, I would like to see a "Student View" toggle at the top of each Content Page, Assignment, and so onStudentView-toggle-in-menu.jpg.

tkoldys
Community Novice

I agree with you about preview being unnecessary, but I do think revision history would be a solid feature idea submission.  The undo button, while convenient, is not necessary in my mind.  Students can learn to use ctrl + commands easily enough.  Those already using Google Apps for Education have had to do so in order to copy and paste and love when I show them other shortcuts such has undo, subscript, superscript, etc.  And now that I think about it, I'd rather have the shortcut option for subscript, and superscript than the icon.

tschaelen1
Community Novice

Please, please, please!  For an LMS that is advanced in so many ways, this glaring omission still surprises me and causes so much frustration for users new to Canvas.  An Undo button should be a standard feature.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Good news, this has been added to our backlog! I have no timelines available at this point but am confident it will be part of future releases that impact the RCE. Stay tuned with future updates.

jolliej
Community Novice

Please, please, please....add a undo button in the editor box.  I can't tell you how many times I have lost tons of work due to a simply accidental grab of a picture or video that causes it to move on the page.  I end up loosing all my work during the edit process.  While I understand that I now have to continually save then re-open the page, an undo button would greatly help.

kona
Community Champion

@jolliej ​, I agree that this a much needed feature, but for now the work around of using Ctrl-Z (keyboard shortcut on PC, not sure what it is for a Mac) will undo things in Canvas. I use it all the time and it's saved me so much time and frustration!

jolliej
Community Novice

I often use control Z and thanks for the hint.  I do know since I use so many pics and videos, if my mouse accidentally grabs a pic and moves it, I tend to lose all the formatting I had done before.

jbuchner
Community Contributor

It seems for me (OS 10.11.6) in Safari, but control-z and command-z seems to function as "undo"

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

rjackson2
Community Novice

So this would be really useful to have right now. I just accidently deleted my Informative page about a class. Now I have to go back and retype the whole thing, as it was the only one. So having an " undo button" like in Microsoft word. Would be super right now. 

kona
Community Champion

This won't help now, but you can always use the Ctrl-Z keyboard short-cut to undo something (like an accidental delete). In addition, if you're doing this on a page and have saved it in the past then you could retrieve your previous versions of this using the Page history - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1921 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dli1
Community Member

Wouldn't that be novel!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Our Product Team reviewed some of our oldest feature proposals recently, and this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!