Create an emoji button in the comment section of Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Okay, I know it's going to get buried down here on the bottom, and it might be really silly BUT, I've mentioned this to a few other like minded teachers and they've all liked the idea.

In the far right part of the Speedgrader where you leave comments,

96521_emojibutton.jpgemojibutton.jpg

I want a little button next to the audio/video choice that if clicked would show: Emojis!

96522_emojiexamples.jpgemojiexamples.jpg

Think of how much typing you would save if you could just click and insert one or more than one of these bad boys/girls in a comment. It would also add the element of fun to something (feedback) that can feel stressful.

Not only that but, sociology professor Ben Agger at the University of Texas at Arlington, "says that the growth of emoticons says a lot about how we’re otherwise limited when communicating . “Emoticons bring the nuances of face-to-face or voice-to-voice interaction, those nuances and subtleties which are necessarily lacking when you’re interacting by way of the screen,” he says. “They attempt to make up for that alienation.”"

From the same BBC article "researchers are aware of emoticons’ social significance, and [they] have begun to investigate exactly how they can influence us during conversations. For example, one recent study found that using smiley face emoticons when delivering negative feedback to employees improved the chances of that feedback being accepted, so long as the feedback itself was specific. Other research found that students could be made more willing to participate in  classes when emoticons were used in  discussion groups.

52 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

I just had to....

tumblr_mskim1Btqf1rqpa8po1_500.jpg

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey folks, Gradebook Product Manager for Canvas here!

We will certainly take this idea into consideration as we build a new Speedgrader, but it's a pretty considerable effort~ adding the emoji is one thing, but those emoji then need to show up in a lot of places... everywhere the comments are viewed. I'm thinking that we aren't currently able to do that (we currently only offer plain text in speedgrader because of limitations elsewhere in Canvas), so it may be a non-starter, but we have thought about adding some kind of emoji "stamps" on the submission. That may be something that we can manage in terms of where all the emojis would be visualized.

Thanks for submitting the idea!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Smiley Sad

Jeff_F
Community Champion

We are deploying Adobe Connect and made effort to deploy a pod containing these.  Let's say the team was less than satisfied with the result and we nixed the idea just this week.

As for Canvas grading feedback, last week I had the pleasure of reviewing 40+ essays in APA format. I'd very much like to be able to stamp a few emojis adjacent to select text in the Crocodoc view of a document.  A green check and others would be quite useful.  I am unsure of the benefit of general emojis appearing elsewhere but I remain open minded.

dtheriault
Community Contributor

That whole reply is a complicated emoji.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Jeff_F ​, FWIW, I submitted this request on December 19 to Crocodoc:

Stefanie Sanders

Dec 19, 05:40

I'd like to submit a feature request to Crocodoc to have emoji stamps be included as a standard annotation tool. How do I submit such a request, and can I then make it available for voting by the general Crocodoc community?

Apart from the boilerplate auto reply, I have yet to receive a response. Let's just say they're a tad less responsive than Instructure.Smiley Wink

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Not exactly what's being asked for here but possibly of interested to anyone who up voted this idea: Grade with Emoji  

clong
Community Champion

Update! Even though it is not a Canvas feature, I've had some success using emojis in SpeedGrader in the comments area by activating them on my keyboard.

Over in Grade with Emoji​ this killer tip was shared and I've started using it all over Canvas now.

* Not sure how to get to the emoji keyboard? Go read the guide for your OS:

Jeff_F
Community Champion

How nifty!  Now to figure out how to get the elusive green check mark to show with a press of a button...

I am determined.... 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.