Create template pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

User have the ability to create a page in a course and then be able to create multiple copies of that page within the same course.  This would be handy when you want to create one skeleton page and then add a copy of it to multiple modules, for example.

Moved from the old community

Originally Posted By: Neal Legler

Thank you especially for contributions by John Louviere and Kevin Reeve of USU, Floyd Palitang, Suzanne Chandler, Joseph Chmielewski

Additional Kudos to Utah State U for developing the custom tool described in this course: CIDI Custom Tools

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11764-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-07-15 

34 Comments
travis_thurston
Community Champion

Thanks for the shoutout to USU CIDI.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I like this idea!

I currently use some creative work-rounds to accomplish this task which makes use of Draft State.  Would be nice to have this be a standard functionality.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

This is a great idea!

travis_thurston
Community Champion

Using Kennethware​ (Design Tools) we are able to apply a theme to a page, customize color and sections, etc. This can be done to a front page like the sample included below, or to a content overview page. I can also apply pages created in one course to other courses.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 10.17.43 AM.png

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a great request that the communityteam​ pulled over.

@jthoms ​ had a great request as well over at

There's so much value in being able to copy/clone pages, but also assignments, discussions, quizzes, etc.

rfrankel
Community Novice

Anyone outside of USU using the CIDI tools (Kennethware). Is help available for the non-tech user to install the tools?

Thanks

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

C.  @rfrankel ​ That sounds like a good question to ask in Canvas DevelopersSmiley Happy

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Removing "Ability to" from the title of this idea to make it more easily sortable with similar ideas.

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Basically, can we have Kennethware IN Canvas?  Pretty please.  With cherries and sprinkles on top?  I know this would mean porting it from Javascript and PHP to Ruby, but it would be so worth it.  Whenever I show anyone Kennethware in the K-12 world, their head practically explodes with how awesome it is.  Seriously.  Kenneth and USU deserve mad props.

But finding a server with https, all the right PHP libraries, and getting an OAuth Developer key all to get it working (or *this* close to working in my case)  is not for the faint of heart.  Add to that the time to update every time changes come out, and while Kennethware is the BOMB, it is hard to keep up for the Average Joe school district.

Because Kennethware exists, it may make there seem like less need to have templates in Canvas, but I think the reality is that many schools would drool over the features in Kennethware but not be able to get them going on their own.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Speaking strictly for myself here;  Kennethware IS the bomb.  I would imagine that the opposite is true in that it being it the world probably drives more demand for templates in core Canvas than takes away from expression of that desire.