Create template pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

User have the ability to create a page in a course and then be able to create multiple copies of that page within the same course.  This would be handy when you want to create one skeleton page and then add a copy of it to multiple modules, for example.

Moved from the old community

Originally Posted By: Neal Legler

Thank you especially for contributions by John Louviere and Kevin Reeve of USU, Floyd Palitang, Suzanne Chandler, Joseph Chmielewski

Additional Kudos to Utah State U for developing the custom tool described in this course: CIDI Custom Tools

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11764-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-07-15 

34 Comments
mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

I agree with that in a sense too,  @scottdennis ​.  Seeing Kennethware makes people WANT Kennethware (specifically), b/c maybe they didn't know it was possible before they saw it.  But....I do think the desire to make things pretty exists outside of Kennethware.  And the thing that I see happen that I was kinda going for is that when people ask for templates, other people say just use Kennethware.  I think the desire for templates exists, and as amazing as Kennethware is, it is also hard to implement for many places that aren't giant institutions with on-staff programmers.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Agreed, Michelle.  Kennethware opens a window into want is possible, but only currently possible if you have major admin chops and the time to get it set up and then to maintain it.  Something in core Canvas would make a big difference or the wide majority of users.

aleverton
Community Participant

Having this feature in ePortofolios would be helpful too!

sawyerschem100o
Community Novice

I was just saying this needed to be available to those that don't like to design!

u0291895
Community Novice

For now, an easy work around is to create several pages, open all pages in separate tabs, copy the html from the original, and paste it quickly into all the pages in the open tabs. Don't forget to save of course.

Once I have a template created, the whole process takes about two minutes (if that).

jeffrey_page
Community Novice

I would love to see this implemented in core.  I met the Kenneth behind Kennethware and his work is AWESOME!

mortensr
Community Novice

I really like the idea of having template pages...and I really like the idea of having themes.  Thank you for bringing this up. 

marthazumack
Community Contributor

K-12 schools like our own are especially less likely to have staff capable of implementing Kennethware. It looks fantastic but we don't have programmers on staff.

ccalderon
Community Champion

Absolutely agree aleverton​!! This would make them so much more useful - especially for departments trying to standardize their use across a wide cohort.

lfazzino
Community Novice

I think this is a fantastic idea. I work with templates often. While it may be a bit of work on the front end creating the template, once it's finished replicating content in other parts of Canvas will go so much quicker!