[Inbox] Create trash folder

Hi

I put forward the request to add a trash folder as part of the Canvas inbox system. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/196984-re-if-i-send-an-email-through-canvas-and-i-accidently... 

Some reasons

• Separating personal email from teaching email.
    • One of the beauties of the Canvas inbox system is separating the emails according to the course
    • If teaching multiple classes with a large number of students, it is absurd trying to forward everything to our own personal email (eg.used for research work)  where a trash folder does exist. Because then we still have to go back to Canvas and respond to these emails. 
  • People make mistakes i.e. accidentally clicking delete
  • sometimes we need to retrieve an old email that proved to be useful later (eg. when trying to prove student plagiarism, email correspondence becomes crucial).
  • Instead of delete it could be "do you want to transfer this email to the trash folder?" 
7 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

I actually do forward my canvas messages from all my classes to my inbox, which has a filter set to put all canvas messages in a separate folder.  Replies from my email automatically show up in the canvas inbox conversation with the student's original question.  I believe attachments only work properly when attached within a canvas message, but for simple text replies emailing a response to canvas works well for me.

Having the forwarded canvas messages also helps because canvas messenger lacks a search function within the body of messages.  (We can search by student name, but not by content.) 

CoderTrey
Community Member

It might be beneficial to add a Trash folder because I once deleted a student's email and could not reach out to her until the assignment was overdue. Please help!

Steven_S
Community Champion

@CoderTrey  you can always reach out to students from within the course.  In the gradebook or people tab, clicking the student's name opens a slide out page from the right side of the screen.  There is a little envelope icon next to the student name on that page.  Clicking the icon opens a pop-up for sending a message to the student.  The message will be in your sent items of your canvas inbox, and if the student replies it will chain your message together with the student reply.

William_Afton
Community Member

if you delete an important message have a feature were you could get that message back like how Drive or Gmail have the Trash Folder

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme