Creating Custom Marks in CANVAS that Transfer to Infinite Campus

0 Likes
At my school we use 0-8 achievement level score criteria based assessment. It is currently not possible to use this grading scale in CANVAS without using a complicated conversion code.

My school has been utilizing this system for the past 6 years and teachers have been entering these 0-8 achievement levels by setting up "custom marks" in Infinite Campus which then assists in converting these achievement levels to percentages. The "custom marks"  also assists with creating the required IB MYP grade report twice a year.
The custom marks are:
8=100%
7=90%
6=85%
5=80%
4=75%
3=70%
2=65%
1=60%
0=50% (we have a minimum 50% F)

Our school is now using CANVAS to enter grades that are synced to Infinite Campus and below are the issues that we have discovered in the process of trying out this new system this year.

Grading Issues: 

The problem that we see is that we are not allowed to set up "Custom Marks" in CANVAS
CANVAS will not let us grade with "custom marks"  like we can in Infinite Campus and will only send grades to IC as Points.

CANVAS needs to create custom marks, just like we have in IC so that when I put a 7 in CANVAS it shows up as a 7 mark in IC, both of which turn into a 90%. 

Here is what is happening now and why the CANVAS conversion is so complicated...

Example 1: If I want to give a student an IB grade of 7 (90%) I would have to give a student a grade of 7.2 in CANVAS because 7.2/8=90%.  CANVAS does not have custom marks so if I put a 7 in CANVAS, it goes to IC as a 7/8 = 87.5%.  This does not align to our IB grading scale.  This is why we have an entire CANVAS code which becomes very complicated for teachers and students and is an extra step for everyone to convert.
CANVAS Code we have to use:
8=8=100%
7=7.2=90%
6=6.8=85%
5=6.4=100%
4=6=75%
3=5.6=70%
2=5.2=65%
1=4.8=60%
0=4=50%

Example 2: if a student gets an IB grade of 0, I would have to score that as a 4 in CANVAS because if I put a 0 in CANVAS it will go to IC as 0 points out of 8 which is 0% (against the minimum F 50% policy).  This could be fixed by having custom marks in CANVAS so that when it sends that 0 to IC, IC knows that a 0 mark means 50% and is not 0 points out of 8.

These two examples portray how difficult it is for teachers and students to navigate grading when trying to convert grades from Canvas to Infinite Campus.

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.