Creating a Conference for a Single Section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-09-15).

In a course consisting of multiple sections, it would be very useful to be able to create a Conference for a single section, similar to creating an assignment.

38 Comments
bhamburger
Community Member

This feature is urgently needed. It's frustrating and confusing that students get messages inviting them to conferences (which are in fact classes) that are outside of their assigned time. 

MsDHall
Community Member

This is a huge need right now.

Boardman
Community Member

I'm adding my comment to support this suggestion.  Canvas does a good job at keeping a student's section information intact for other purposes.  It is very much needed within Conferences as well.  Being able to invite Groups made within Canvas would also be helpful.

avangundy
Community Novice

This would be so helpful in creating conferences more quickly. We are currently being required to hold up to 6 conferences per day for different sections of students within the same course. It would be so much  more convenient if we could click on a Section title rather than having to scroll through all students enrolled in the course (this can sometimes be up to 140 kids!).

kstakhovich
Community Novice

Big need for this feature. 

joluebke
Community Novice

Having this functionality in Canvas, in my opinion, is vital to managing stress and workload of teachers.  Without this function, the time saving aspect of other features (like cross listing) is completely wasted when a teacher is having to scroll and sort through 100+ students to create the sections (or cohorts) required for that class.  Logically, it should also follow to have this feature available if the platform is able to allow instructors to assign other tasks to certain sections.

bru_cru
Community Novice

HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE need.  I cannot emphasized this enough.  I cannot believe that I have to click my mouse 150 times everyday just to set up conferences for the different co-horts that my district has designed.  

McBride
Community Novice

Please add this feature

alana
Community Explorer

In conferences, it would be very helpful to be able to invite students by section.  We have several courses where a large number of students share the asynchronous content, but are divided into sections for live online instruction and discussion in Canvas Conferences.  Right now, it looks like the only options for Conferences are to invite all students, or to choose individual students.  It would be very helpful for instructors to be able to invite all the students in a given section to the conference.

Ninette
Community Member

Please add this feature.  As we all continue to work remotely and many more district are jumping into Canvas, we need this option.  Staff have cross-listed courses to make sharing content easier, but not being able to limit a Conference may make some teachers use a different Conferencing Tool.