Creating a Conference for a Single Section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-09-15).

In a course consisting of multiple sections, it would be very useful to be able to create a Conference for a single section, similar to creating an assignment.

38 Comments
acmassoni
Community Member

Please make this a priority Canvas!!! I chatted with someone this morning about this very thing and I was directed here to post it as a conversation. SO HAPPY I'm clearly not the only one frustrated by this. With 180+ students, being able to invite by section and/or student groups would be super helpful for creating tutor specific conferences separate from general class conferences.

pecchiog
Community Participant

Someone may have already stated this, apologies if this is repeated. 

There is a way to do this.

Go into PEOPLE, GROUPS--Create a groupset called "Conference Invite by Section" (or whatever you want to call it).

Create a group for each section.

Move students into the correct group (period 1...period 2...etc.)

Save.

Go back to groups and "Visit group home page" for one of the periods. 

Click on conferences.

Bookmark this URL as "Conference invite for period ____."

Do the same for your other class sections. 

This allows you to initiate a conference ONLY for the people in that section. 

Each time just click on the bookmark and start your conference. Basically, creating the groups ONCE sets up the invite for all future conferences. 

andrew_harten
Community Member

Yes, this is so necessary- particularly when you have observers attached. MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

As part of creating a new conference, the Conferences page includes checkboxes for selecting groups and sections. This change allows conference creators to add all members of a specific section or group to a conference.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-09-15).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed