Creating a quiz bank from published quiz questions that are NOT already in an existing quiz bank.

(2)
Currently, to create a quiz you either hand type in questions or choose questions from a quiz bank.  If you want to create a new quiz bank, you can only pull in questions from other quiz banks or hand type in questions.  There is NO feature that allows you to pull questions from an existing quiz into another quiz or from a quiz into a quiz bank.  This severely limits the instructor if the publisher of the CANVAS course has created quizzes with hand-typed questions if he/she wants to use the same questions in another quiz.  A feature needs to be created to pull questions from other quizzes or  that allows an instructor to create a quiz bank from other quiz questions.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

32 Comments
cohenf
Community Participant

@jean-k-gordon , you are correct.  Importing the quiz into another course does not generate a question bank for the quiz. You have to import it as a QTI.

lawd
Community Participant

Thanks, Frank. Yes, the ol' midway-station sandbox course really helps with these sorts of things. This is normally how I do it too if I am dealing with live courses.

I agree, I wish there were better tools available for mass editing and transferring quiz banks.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Your initial feature request is part of the Blackboard standard equipment, by the way. I, for one, love to see it when Canvas beats that venerable LMS at their own game, so I hope this idea continues to get votes and in folded into a near-future release.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

acarrawa
Community Novice

This is a suggestion that DEFINITELY needs to be implemented!

mitchelc
Community Novice

To me, the ideal solution would be for each question in an existing quiz (published or not) to have as an option out to the side "Export to quiz bank." Then select the bank and off you go. The "work arounds" are cumbersome indeed!

sbj
Community Participant

I just met with an instructor to help her add existing questions to a Quiz Bank and we are amazed that this does not exist as an easy thing to do. I like Cynthia Mitchell's suggestion above this comment -- my instructor was NOT interested in spending time doing all these workarounds when this should be such a simple task.

rmccharles
Community Member

I am a new instructor using CANVAS for a few months now.  My problem is that I do not feel I can use the questions as they come from the publisher.  So I edit the questions after they are uploaded into quizzes.  These edits are extensive and tedious.  Being able to copy questions between question banks is useless unless I can copy questions out of the quizzes and into question banks.

I see others have been complaining here about this obviously missing feather for four years, and nothing ever comes of it.  Seems like a waste of time to post here.

dave_perry
Community Explorer

We come from a moodle background here. There are so many things we can easily do in moodle, but not canvas.

The things canvas can do, that moodle can't, or where it has an edge in terms of usability to the end user, I'm told moodle is catching up.

mitchelc
Community Novice

The other thing that would work is when you go GET questions, you can just go to previous quizzes. Now, with them all getting thrown into ONE GIANT HEAP, it makes it a lot harder to find the ones you want. Most people have topics for their quiz, so this would make it a lot easier to build a midterm or a final. It is truly depressing that this doesn't seem like a big ask, and started THREE YEARS ago!

mary_wells
Community Member

Would like to see this function finally realized.  I have hundreds of questions in "Unfiled" -- it would be great if the system could instead just create separate question banks for each quiz that exists and let us easily combine the questions from various quizzes into a single bank.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community, but because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.