Creating an Assignment

0 Likes

When I create an assignment within modules and click the + button a window appears for me to choose "new assignment".  Then I can name the assignment and choose to indent it.  After this it is created and placed at the bottom of module, then I have to click on the assignment and edit it to create the parameters of the assignment.  Is there a way that a button could be added "more options" to create the parameters of the assignment without having to go back in to edit it?

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

mofroerer
Community Explorer

When I create a new assignment from "Modules", I have to click, "new assignment," then put in the title, then click "Add item." THEN, I have to open up the assignment and click "edit" in order to put in directions, points, and everything else. This is a lot of clicking. Why can't I click "new assignment" and then have the edit screen pop up? Every time I need to create an assignment, I need to put in directions and how many points is worth.

CourtCassar
Community Explorer

When you create a new item, can there be an option to take you directly to the edit page? 
I would suggest that the majority of people who create a new item would like to edit it straight away. 

It's annoying to click the "+" at the top of modules to create a new item and then to have to find that item and scroll down to the bottom. 

I propose that when you click "Add Item" there should be a "Add item and Edit" button, to avoid unnecessary clicks and increase the intuitive nature of Canvas. 

One constant criticism of Canvas Vs Google classroom is that it isn't as nearly as intuative and this simple adjustment would improve this divide and increase the day-to-day productivity of teachers.

bslider
Community Member

I have noticed that it is possible, and very easy, to change due dates on assignments quickly from the assignments screen.  By clicking on the 3 dot navigation for and individual assignment and selecting "edit" you can easily change the due date.  My suggestion would be to also make the option available to change the "available date" as well.  I like to automatically have my assignments publish using the available date option.  If this option was made available along with the changing due date option, then I would never have to select "more options" and navigate to the individual assignment just for the purpose of changing the available date.  Would it be possible to add this feature to the assignments screen?

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.