[Announcements] Creating new announcement in unpublished course? Notify that students can't yet see them!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can Canvas add an informational or warning pop-up when clicking "Save" for a new announcement in an unpublished course notifying the creator that the announcement cannot be seen until the course is published?

I've noticed a few instructors at our institution creating announcements in unpublished courses who seem unaware that their students cannot see and will not receive any notification of the announcement.

Something similar to the "View Due Date Warning" that is displayed when not assigning an assignment to everyone in the class,... would probably do the trick!

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

HannahKatzen
Community Member

I agree, this would be an extremely useful way to keep instructors informed of the implications of their actions!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Something like this? I am thinking a static message that appears when the course is not published vs. a pop up.

---

example messageexample message

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

briddell
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Since an Announcement will not be emailed to students if: - the course is Unpublished OR - the term start date or course/section start date are in the future It would be EXTREMELY helpful if either of those conditions exist if a warning could be given to the instructor when they create the Announcement. We have had some disasters where faculty assumed the announcement was being emailed and it wasn't.

Proposed solution:

When a Teacher creates an announcement, the program checks to see if the course is Unpublished or the Course/Term start date is in the future, and if so, pops up a warning saying that this Announcement does not meet the conditions for it to trigger an email to the student(s).

User role(s):

instructor

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-08-02) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-08-02)