Custom Canned Comments in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

I want the option to customize multiple canned comments in speedgrader. I find myself using 3 or 4 different comments using speedgrader, i.e., "Please Submit", "#### and resubmit", etc...

This has been a request since August 2012:

Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

Please also refer to this related and very similar idea that is currently also open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1751-ability-to-save-and-copy-from-frequently-used-comments-in...
24 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For those looking for an interim solution, I use a little program called PhraseExpress (as far as I know, it's only available for Windows) to accomplish this. The program is adaptive; once you've used the same phrase a few times, the program will offer you choices of previously-used comments after you key the first few words into the SpeedGrader Add a Comment field.

atentoni
Community Novice

I installed PhraseExpress after reading your comment, and it's wonderful!  I even prefer it to a built-in solution because it works seamlessly in any application.  It's very flexible.  Thank you!

stephanie_pope
Community Champion

Yes to macros! Great idea!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

If this is an important feature to you, please consider adding your observations and use cases over at .  The desire to have something like this added during a future SpeedGrader upgrade is something we have heard loud and clear.

jared
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi guys, did you know SpeedGrader does have this if you use free-form rubrics? Otherwise, I love  @atentoni ​'s comment that an external tool is better than one built specifically for SpeedGrader, as you can use it anywhere. So thank stefaniesanders again for calling out text expanders, aka text snippet programs. These make it easier to call up pre-written text. Many of these rely on keyboard shortcuts or abbreviations.

I've used aText on the Mac for a while, and I've heard TypeIt4Me is good, too.

There are also some built for browsers, too: I haven't used these yet, but AutoTextExpander and ProKeys are both highly rated on the Chrome app store.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for linking to a related idea, Scott!  At first I thought they were duplicates, but stefaniesanders​ kindly pointed out that this one is focused on speedgrader, and the related idea is focused on Crocodoc!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

While these are different, they are similar enough that we are updating with the same status as

January 2016 update from Christi Wruck

Hey Folks!

I hope you noticed our new status. "Under Consideration". It means, we think this is a good idea and despite the fact that we can't get this done in the next 6 months, we're looking for ways to squeeze it in sometime in the future. We'll be working on some designs, will probably have questions for you at some point, and will be hoping some of you on this chain will want to participate in some user testing to make sure we're on the right track to solving this problem. Stay tuned!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

martil29
Community Novice

Hello All!

I just submitted an idea, /ideas/9439-add-a-text-expander-tool. It is similar to this one, so Renee told me about this Idea.

My idea is a bit different. I would like the opportunity to use it in all textbox tools in Canvas (inbox, discussions, announcements, SpeedGrader, Rubric, and DocViewer). I would also like the ability to create my own phrases, just like a Text Expander Tool. Some people have mentioned they use a text expander tool, but it doesn't work in DocViewer. I did try the Chrome Auto Text tool, but that intermittently works in the comment box and still does not work in the DocViewer.

If you are still interested, please vote up my Idea above. Thanks for looking.

Lisa