Custom Menu Items for New UI

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I have had discussions with a number of institutions looking for a way to add custom items to the left hand navigation in the new UI.

Adding custom menu items

Additional Navigation Menu Item

Re: Has anyone been working on scripts for the new Beta UI? 

Like these schools, we have some items we have customized for our faculty and students that we would like to bring over to the new UI.

137362_Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.36.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.36.47 AM.png

I have created some JavaScript code to add an individual item, but it would be great if there was a way to add an item that had a slide out list like the other navigation items in Canvas

137363_Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.41.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.41.38 AM.png

The icing on the cake would also be the ability for the navigation to be targeted to a user's roles (additional resources for teachers verses resources for students) and if there was a way to choose an icon.

I understand that there is limited space in the left navigation for smaller screen sizes, but this would be a wonderful addition to the existing customization options in the new UI.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

114 Comments
mjennings
Community Contributor

Thanks  @kenneth_larsen ! This would be an amazing addition that would give institutions a greater flexibility in targeting users with university/school specific resources. It would also be great if there was an ability to add sub-account specific content as well.

buellj
Community Contributor

Ditto! This would be very helpful when different campus units and resources need to compete for limited menu space.

Community Novice

Yes, please! It would be so helpful to be able to keep our current custom menu items when we move to the new UI. We've been using Seth Battis'/St. Marks menu code and we don't want to lose this functionality now that our students know they can go to our custom menu for help, library, tutoring, etc.

rhobbs
Community Novice

Like USU, we are VERY interested in this feature request.  We currently utilizing this functionality in our Canvas instance.  It has become an important feature in providing access to local and third party resources to our students and faculty.  This should be a feature built into the theme editor, with the ability to add a resources (or other) custom menu(s) and associated links.  Let's make this happen Instructure and Community.

Community Novice

Voting should be open today, but it is not. Can someone from Instructure assist?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

themidiman
Community Champion

I can only see this as being a helpful addition to the new UI feature set. I'm sure our institution would like to see this option without resorting to a custom JS/CSS hack.

harker
Community Novice

We have voted this up. I also have added a hack as a reply on Has anyone been working on scripts for the new Beta UI?

It's not perfect, but as to location and usefulness it may help.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

As more and more colleges try to streamline resources for students, and strive to create a one-stop-shopping resource for stakeholders; this functionality becomes more and more desirable. This is especially true for schools that have a large number of fully online courses and programs.

I am very much in favor of the ability to customize the global navigation in the new UI, and to be able to do it through a standard user interface, rather than having to contract with coders to get this customization built, then have it crash on the next scheduled production release.

sadenniston
Community Contributor

Wonderful idea. The way I have approached general courses (i.e. those courses that don't have enrolments) is to put them in the public course index. This requires students to search, however. Having them appear in the main navigation menu would take out the search requirement.