Custom Sharing Groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I think it would be beneficial if teachers could define custom sharing groups when adding to Commons.  For example, teachers can share with any Sub-Account they are teacher for a course in, and we have teachers with courses at multiple schools, allowing them to see multiple locations to share with, which is good.  However, because of how our data comes out of our SIS our teachers don't belong to a defined Sub-Accounts like HS English or MS Math, and instead they have all or none sharing with an entire building.  If teachers could define individuals as part of a sharing group it would ease the administrative side of defining additional sub-accounts, and then creating and placing teachers into additional courses for classification purposes.

Transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Jeremy May

Comments from Instructure

February 2016

I'm excited to say we are working on the ability to share resources to a custom group of users that has been created by an admin. I hope that this might be a solution to the concern you share above. As we roll out this feature later this year we would love to hear feedback on how it works for you.

Kate McGee, Commons Product Manager

7 Comments
kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Deactivated user​, Thank you for sharing your idea, it's these comments that help us continue to develop Commons and make it great. I'm excited to say we are working on the ability to share resources to a custom group of users that has been created by an admin. I hope that this might be a solution to the concern you share above. As we roll out this feature later this year we would love to hear feedback on how it works for you.

Thanks and all the best,

Kate McGee

Commons Product Manager

RobDitto
Community Champion

Now that it's possible to create and manage Groups in Commons​, is this idea now considered complete/developed?

tdelillo
Community Champion

I know this is a very old discussion, but I I would say this idea is NOT complete, if they're working on it exactly as requested. Because only account admins can create and manage Commons groups, and this requests is for the teachers to create custom groups. I think it would be beneficial if teachers could specify who they want to share with. We have an increasing number of individual departments who want to use Commons to share resources among themselves, but we have no subaccounts and therefore no auto-generated "groups" for those departments. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through  How do I manage Groups in Commons? 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed