[Modules] Customizable Checklists to Add to Modules

This is a feature that I was expecting to find in Canvas because I have used it in D2L Brightspace. A checklist is something that is added to a module and created by the instructor. Here's an article about it in D2L and here's a video tutorial

Functionality

The checklist would be interactive in that students could "check" the boxes of tasks that they've completed as they work through a module or project or course. Those selections are kept so when students return to that page minutes or weeks later, they can still see which items were checked and which weren't.

For example, I often would create weekly checklists that included a list of the assigned readings/videos as well as the assessments/activities for the week. They could come to the checklist as often as they wish to keep track in a quick summary view of what they had and hadn't done so far that week.

The data in terms of what was checked/unchecked was never integrated with the grading system. Checklists were strictly to help students stay organized. 

Rationale

The biggest reason for adding this feature is that it's helpful for students. It is also aligned with Universal Design for Learning in that it supports differences in executive functioning, project management skills, etc. It is especially beneficial for students with learning disabilities and/or processing disorders. For students who don't need or want this feature, it doesn't add any extra work or responsibility since it isn't graded in any way. A benefit to many and a harm to none.

47 Comments
richard-jerz
Community Contributor

I support this feature request.  Yes, it is available in D2L and in Moodle.  (Moodle's method is the more flexible and powerful.) It is a beautiful method of allowing students to keep track of where they are in a course.

In the original post for this feature request, Kona provided a link to a method that Canvas provides, called requirements. I spent a fair amount of time with this "requirement" feature, and it is not what we are talking about in this feature request.  The "requirements" feature is very awkward and inconsistent in its use.  For example, for an "Assignment" the student can check this off, but not for quizzes and URL links.  These can only be checked off by the system, which is not what we want in this feature request.  We want a method that puts this control to the student, not the system.  Sometimes only the student really knows when they are finished with a task, for example, when quiz repeats are allowed or when a student decides that they really have no need to view a URL again.

Shane, it is nice that you provide links to several D2L resources.  I would like to do the same for Moodle, but somehow, I believe that someone in Canvas should be keeping track of what the other major LMSs provide.  I am going to leave it up to Canvas to get smarter about their competitors are doing.  (If Canvas already knows, then they should reply with a "It's on our Roadmap as a low, medium, or high priority" or "We know, but don't care how many votes it gets."

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @degensp28 ‌ and  @richard-jerz ‌

Have you explored theto-do list in the List View Dashboard for a student?  This feature allows more flexibility than just placing it in a module, for students can add content to this list.

degensp28
Community Participant

Hello Renee,

Yes, I have.  

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

Hi Renee, I too have explored the To Do List.  It is not what we are talking about.  For the To Do List, students must individually enter everything themselves.  And this list is not in the course, either.

Look at my example test course graphic.  You tell me where this student is in the course?  Wouldn't it be nice if there were little checkboxes to the right of each of these activities for the student to check off, not the system?

Where am I_

sandy_munnell
Community Novice

I also support this idea. If it a checklist can't be added it would be great if I could see in Stats which pages the students have viewed and when.

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

I am not sure if your vote registered, Sandy.  After I voted yesterday, I saw the count double in size (from 1 to 2).  Today, I still see it at 2.  I think that we only need about another 500 votes within six months.  Otherwise, we have to start a brand new request and re-vote once again.

(Oops, I forgot to mention that even if this idea gets 500 to 1000 votes to keep it in the top 10%, if Canvas doesn't like it, nothing will happen.  This seems to be the way the system works.)

sandy_munnell
Community Novice

That is odd as I am able to add comments, but not vote.

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

Now that you mention it, that happened to me, too.  I must have tried voting 3 or 4 times, refreshing my browser, etc., while logged in, and then (magically) my vote was accepted.

So I have no idea what is going on with this system, maybe Renee does.  

veronica_armour
Community Novice

I would like to vote this idea up but for some reason the vote up/down buttons are not appearing.  I'm assuming because it is in 'moderating' stage.  Regardless, this idea gets an up vote from me!

sringsmuth
Community Participant

I support faculty on our campus and many of them have told me that the Checklist feature in Brightspace is one of their most-used tools. Its absence in Canvas is a big deal, and I hope something like it can be added soon. It doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.