[Gradebook Settings] Customize Status

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta •  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through theCanvas Release Notes (2023-10-21) 

It would be great for schools to have the ability to set their own custom statuses in addition to missing, late, and excused. These can be set at the admin-level for schools to set customize statuses and to turn existing statuses on and off for the school.

Added to Theme

Canvas Ideas Featured in 2023 Releases Theme Status: Delivered

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

CarinRedmon
Community Novice

I would really like to have an "Incomplete" status in addition to those I have now. So many students turn things in before they are finished and I have to mark it as "missing", when it clearly isn't "missing". 

QuintonFreeman
Community Explorer

I agree that an "incomplete" status would be helpful. Also maybe a "needs revising". The option for users or schools to make these decisions would take care of having to guess what would be useful. 

adrinkwine
Community Explorer

Would like to have a "submitted" button added to the assignment options above Late, Missing, and Excused

jjagdmann
Community Novice

Is it possible to add another option to the status list as a "retake" or "second score?"

shihw
Community Member

I agree.  This was a feature that I really appreciated in two other gradebook programs, but sadly found that it wasn't a feature on Canvas when our district switched over.  It would we wonderful at the teacher/user level to add and amend gradebook status like "Incomplete" or "Absent", and be able to assign a percentage to the status.

JenniferKoutnik
Community Explorer

I would like for teachers to be able to customize status names.

Community Member

If there were one or two customizable statuses for teachers to adapt for their course.  For instance, I would love to be able to flag "Important" assignments for my middle school students who often struggle to focus on the most meaningful places to spend their energy when trying to repair a grade.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme