Customize Teacher To-do-List (to manage marking workflow)

0 Likes
(5)

Currently the teacher To-do-Lists in either the general dashboard or the course level dashboard organizes those things we need marked by Due Date.  It would be useful, for teachers in asynchronous environments without due dates, to sort by date-handed-in.  This would allow prioritization of marking rather than facing what occasionally presents as a mess of assignments.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@stefanj 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Have you tried sorting your student list in Speedgrader by "needs grading" or "the date they submitted the assignment"? That will array the submissions in the order in which they've been submitted. Please have a look at the Select Sorting Option section of How do I sort the student list in SpeedGrader? - Canvas Community and let us know how that works out for you; for me, it was a lifesaver when I was teaching large courses.

stefanj
Community Member

Within each granular assignment that helps moderately, but the To-do-Lists should present some kind of workflow management.  Otherwise the to-do list becomes be a clutter of assessments.  I've tried changing settings in Speed Grader, but with multiple courses and multiple assessments it doesn't particularly help guide what I should mark first in the larger basket (of all things handed in from all courses.)  

ScottCrosbie
Community Member

YES!

Please, this would be incredibly helpful for myself and many teachers I know. Right now my To-Do List is not prioritized how I would like it to be. Being able to have it display based on a set criteria, like date submitted, would be awesome. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stefanj 

Thanks for that quick response! We've moved this forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Smac
Community Member

I also would LOVE for this feature to exist. This would be a life saver for us asynchronous teachers. 

bachandeics2020
Community Member

For our asynchronous school, this would be so handy. We have no deadlines except for June so our to do list is essentially a mess right now. How handy this would be.

liana_taylor
Community Member

Yes! This sounds like the same idea I proposed:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Modify-To-Do-List/idi-p/372120

This would help so much because it's hard to keep track of incoming submissions when they are only grouped by assignment. I was thinking there's no way I'm the only one that wants this!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.