Customize notification settings for individual discussions

0 Likes

It would be useful to have different notification settings for different discussions within the same course.

For example, I keep a "general discussion" open for students to post questions for me and the class throughout the semester. I would like to be notified immediately when posts are made here. The same for when a student creates a new discussion and other students reply. These tend to be low traffic, time sensitive things, so I would like to be notified quickly.

On the other hand, I do NOT want a notification every time a student posts to one of our graded discussion assignments, it will just fill up my inbox, since these are high traffic discussions and I'm monitoring them anyway as they are assignments.

A compromise is to get notifications for all discussions digested daily, but it would be nice to have different notification frequencies for different discussions within the same course.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

mho
Community Explorer

Wouldn't unsubscribing from graded discussions prevent getting notification?

HeatherPineault
Community Member

In addition to this I am wondering if I could have the choice in notifications for notifications of responses to my specific posts either as a student or to a student. In other words, if I respond to a student post, I want to be sure they get the notification that I responded without having to search through multiple discussions. Same for me as a student, I am in a class with many students and numerous discussions. It would be helpful to get a notification that someone responded to my comment and I should check that.  Thanks.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

This idea will be considered as part of an upcoming notification improvements project.