Cutting out the UPDATE QUESTION option and just using the SAVE button.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Updating quiz questions requires 2 steps.  After editing a question, one has to "update question" AND save.  If accidentally hitting SAVE before hitting the "update question" button all work is lost.  This seems to be one step too many and causes frustration when so much time is spent updating and questions.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
22 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

aokeefe
Community Novice

Please make this change. That it takes two clicks is annoying, but that a user can actually click a prominent "save" button and end up losing all the work is just inexcusable. We've all been conditioned by computers to look for and click on "save" when we're in editing mode, so please make "save" actually save the changes to the question. At the very least, enhance the prominence and placement of the "update question" button and shrink or hide the "save" button so that a reasonable human being looking to save their work won't accidentally click "save".

asatkins
Community Novice

I like the 'update question' as a way to save an individual question while still working on others (and the ability to have saved one but revert the other, before hitting that final 'save') but I agree that the chance of overwriting on accident is awful.

A potential better solution could be saving the whole page when you have not saved individual questions should update the questions as well. So potentially leave them both there to give people more flexibility, but make the default behavior of hitting 'save' without 'update questions' assume that you also meant to update all questions?

don_quick
Community Member

Yes, this makes more sense. Just Update all when the Save button is hit.

jbrady2
Community Champion

Perhaps the answer to this would be to make it where if a question is still open for editing, then the Save button would force the user to go back to that question and either save or cancel. Similar to how, when creating an assignment, if the user chooses online for submission but does not choose the type of online submission, clicking on Save causes the page to scroll back to that section, and a message is displayed reminding the user to pick a type for the submission.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I would be happiest if there were a warning before all the work is lost. Something like, "You have open questions on this page that have not been saved. Are you sure you want to continue?"  Sometimes I start editing a question and then realize I don't want to make the changes after all. I can "cancel" rather than saving the question, but I imagine that if this idea (save everything with one button) were implemented, I might accidentally save things I didn't want to.

One thing is for sure, I definitely have lost important changes by clicking to "save" the quiz rather than clicking to "save" the question. This is especially likely to happen when the question is located at the bottom of the quiz so that the save buttons are close to each other. It's maddening!!! 

lse224
Community Champion

I like any iteration of this - the unsaved-content warning, save at the bottom auto-saving all unsaved content - just something that makes sense instead of save at the bottom of the page not actually saving the content on that page.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Canvas Family,

As we develop the Modern Quizzing Engine , we will work to simplify a variety of processes, including authoring just as described here. Stay tuned for more details as our work progresses. We will make more announcements over the course of 2016. As this idea will be incorporated into our toolset, we can archive this suggestion.

Kind regards,

Jason

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Awesome Jason!

Those of us following this are waiting with bated breath. I would say we are "patiently" waiting, but I know you would not believe me:smileylaugh:

More like..............

Agent K

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Wow,  @kmeeusen ​

I LOVE these commercials when they were still on the air!  Thanks for that memory. We are working furiously and will have more to share in the next few months. Until then...

suspense.gif

Jason