[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
phil-mccollam
Community Member

Commenting in support of this as well — working with accessibility in mind, this would be an amazing way to support users with different needs. It could also help with a tiny bit of battery usage for individuals who are limited to mobile devices for connectivity.

jmills1
Community Member

+1

How do we go about bumping this?  I'm new to the community...

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I do want to point out that Dark Mode does exist in the Canvas Parent app, but not the other apps (Student and Teacher) (How do I manage my settings in the Canvas Parent a... - Canvas Community).

bmchugh
Community Member

I second that!!

Community Novice

Dark Mode.

racheldzwon
Community Novice

I have to agree that dark themes are very helpful for students. Even if I am working during the day, light themes strain my eyes more than dark ones. I would love to see an official canvas dark theme, rather than have to reply on third party apps.

ap14
Community Novice

Similar to apple ios devices, i think including a dark mode option would be an good add on to canvas. Looking at a computer all day with the bright white lights, having an option where there is a black background like apple offers. 

BonoLao
Community Member

I'd appreciate the integration of "dark mode" on all platforms. I'm pretty sure others will as well.

LGilmore
Community Member

The fact that this was posted in 2018 (this is now late 2020) gives me little hope. 

I was hoping for dark mode because of my eyes. I like to use different colors for my different classes. I have LOTS of work in each class (web dev student") so I have many things due on a day but from different classes. As such I need to know from WHICH class, thus I use different colors. So let's say I want 3 pink things 2 blue things 4 purple things. Problem is, few colors meet the color contrast accessibility guidelines  (which you could check out here https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/) with a white background. even with darker colors there is still a problem, because all the lines are so thin, all the lines look like black if you choose a dark color which just brings us back to our original problem. So again, this is an accessibility problem for visually impaired people. I would assume something so widely used would be up to speed on something as simple as a dark mode to help visually impaired people. 

erikamg17
Community Member

My eyes hurt everytime I open Canvas at 7 am, please, we need dark mode.

Thanks