[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

Here's a link for a Google extension to put Canvas in Dark Mode.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-mode-for-canvas/jgiilnejobjjdnjkpoahdglfejggnfgh

karma666
Community Novice

white theme is to bright for me i would like a dark theme

karma666
Community Novice

pls add themes 

stopdirty
Community Member

Was going to suggest this, wanted to fins someone else who did so I can upvote it. Thanks

Ethan_Lowell
Community Member

Allow an option to turn the white and light gray background into various dark greys, in order to make people on Canvas at night not have to look at a bright screen.

CM001
Community Novice

I do most of my labs on Canvas and sometimes I am staring at a white screen for hours. It's hard to count, read, do math when your eyes are super strained. A dark mode feature would be a helpful option for all students and professors.

ItsCallMeZach
Community Novice

I agree

sgray-castro
Community Member

I voted for this! As an Instructor, I would prefer a dark theme due to my eyes' strain with bright lights (white background). 

I believe this would benefit most, and both instructors and students to have these features.

glg06c
Community Member

Anyone using Microsoft Edge Browser on Windows 10 can force dark mode for everything (including Canvas) by putting the following as the URL: 

edge://flags/

Once there, scroll down to the option for "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents." 

I changed the option to, "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements" and so far haven't encountered any problems. You can always change it back if you encounter any & this way you do not have to download anything (assuming you have Edge Browser already installed on your device. 

I have not tried this on Mac or Linux. Entering the above as the URL on the Android version of the app brings you to a page where you can enable Experimental Features, but the option to force dark mode was not available for me. 

Worked on:

Windows 10: Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.50 (Official build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home Edition Version 20H2 (OS Build # 19042.782 - Updated 8/29/2020) (Surface Book 3 Model 1899 i7)

Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.50 (Official build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004 (OS Build #: 21296.1000 - Updated 1/23/2021) (Surface Go 2 Model 1926)

DId not work on:

Android: Edge App Version 45.12.24.5125 (Updated 1/14/2021) on Android 11 (Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G) 

glg06c
Community Member

FORCE DARK MODE - MICROSOFT EDGE (WIN 10 PRO/HOME)

Anyone using Microsoft Edge Browser on Windows 10 can force dark mode for everything (including Canvas) by putting the following as the URL: 

edge://flags/

Once there, scroll down to the option for "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents." 

I changed the option to, "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements" and so far haven't encountered any problems. You can always change it back if you encounter any & this way you do not have to download anything (assuming you have Edge Browser already installed on your device.) 

I have not tried this on Mac or Linux. Entering the above as the URL on the Android version of the app brings you to a page where you can enable Experimental Features, but the option to force dark mode was not available for me. 

Worked on:

Windows 10:

Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.50 (Official build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home Edition Version 20H2 (OS Build # 19042.782 - Updated 8/29/2020) (Surface Book 3 Model 1899 i7)

Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.50 (Official build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004 (OS Build #: 21296.1000 - Updated 1/23/2021) (Surface Go 2 Model 1926)

DId not work on:

Android: Edge App Version 45.12.24.5125 (Updated 1/14/2021) on Android 11 (Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G) 

I could try to do it on Linux Mint Cinnamon on Chromium if anyone wants, but anyone using Linux probably has no trouble doing that themselves.