[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
SheldonWindsor
Community Novice

make canvas have a dark mode plz

Sleepysleep
Community Member

That truly does sound like a wonderful idea.

MyraChaudhary
Community Novice

Allow users to enable dark mode fir Canvas.

Jessica2828
Community Member

Night owl here voting for Dark mode! I currently use Chrome add-on Dark Web for now 

SuziLebin
Community Novice

There should be an easy option to toggle a "dark mode" on and off. The white background is harsh sometimes. 

Koosh
Community Novice

dark mode, thats it

Sarah191
Community Novice

We would love to have a dark mode 

EmmaEngle
Community Member

A dark mode would be great for Canvas as I often find myself having been on Canvas for hours at a time and a dark mode would help ease the strain on my eyes. It would also be fun to be able to customize the colors to make your personal Canvas dashboard more reflective of who you are or bring some enjoyment to doing homework.  

Noah123456
Community Novice

I get headaches looking at a white screen and a dark mode would make it so much nicer.

mpfaff1
Community Participant

Agree. This is a pretty standard usability feature of other major websites nowadays.