[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
EthanSaunders
Community Novice

It would be nice if the websites could utilize Dark mode to help when the sites are used at night to help reduce strain while trying to read them.

JaedanTatum
Community Novice

Dark mode would be an amazing feature as a bright white screen strains the eyes greatly. 

SheeeeeSh
Community Member

how is dark mode still not a thing on pc? it has been 3 years since the start of the thread. honestly makes no sense. 

StinkerIsStinky
Community Member

Me and my peers have trouble reading on black on white, so it would be nice to be able to invert some colors, most technology for education purposes has a dark mode anyway, so i´d be nice if Canvas did too.

ORIANADIAZ
Community Novice

Canvas hurts my eyes and contrasts harshly against my other apps and my browser in which are in dark mode.

LaurenWilley
Community Novice

can we get a dark mode for canvas as to not strain our eyes when doing assignments at night

JacobGalindezw
Community Member

it would not hurt my eyes

RaymondGay
Community Novice

Its a nice tone. there are good and bad things about having a dark mode. I feel like having a dark mode makes it seem more intresting and contrasting. Having a white background is nice because it gets you awake, while having a dark background makes you slighty tired or relaxed.

davidcalvente
Community Novice

It would be nice if there could be an option on Canvas to put the display on dark mode so it's not just white. White irritates my eyes so a dark mode option would be a nice feature.

TrevorTranchina
Community Novice

At the very top of the faeture suggestion screen you have:

"Example: entering the word Dark provides more accurate search results than entering Dark Mode

"

So where is the DARK MODE IF IT'S YOUR PRIME EXAMPLE? WHY ARE YOU STILL BLASTING STUDENTS IN THE EYES WITH BRIGHT WHITE WINDOWS?

Seriously.