[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
mramir11
Community Explorer

I've seen people use external extensions for this, but I still can't believe it hasn't become an option directly on the site yet... 

jbryce
Community Novice

Add a dark mode for canvas, would be easier on my eyes

TommyScholz
Community Novice

A lot of people work late at night in the dark and all white hurts the eyes.

csalas
Community Member

I also thought Canvas would have a dark mode, so googled how to turn it on. Alas, it's not available. So I'm adding to this conversation because my eyes also need dark mode! (I do google slides in a black/dark background and use white text when presenting a reading/article!) ^_^

sarahcallan
Community Member

Has anyone else wanted to have dark mode as an option in Canvas?

PhillipMale
Community Member

Dark Mode would be fantastic!  I've had it for another school I worked in and it makes screen time SO MUCH BETTER.  They have Chrome and Firefox Dark Mode extensions you can download for Canvas but not in our system.  If it's a money issue, I'll chip in to pay the programmer.  Pretty sure if we crowdsourced this we could raise enough money pretty quickly to get this done.

After a year or so teaching almost exclusively online, I think it's way past time to get this feature added.  

Annguyen8646
Community Novice

It would be nice if I can switch the background on canvas to black/ night mode because I'm a night owl and the white background gives me a bad headache 

km3121
Community Member

Please for the love of god develop a dark mode for visually impaired student. Chrome/Firefox extensions don't fully support Canvas. If not for the whole site, please allow dark mode for iOS. This is long overdue for those that have trouble with light colors and to minimize eye-strain. I understand there is a high-contrast UI and that's a nice start... but please add a dark (black or otherwise) mode. 

ElisabethUCF
Community Novice

I provide technical support to University faculty and students using Canvas and am light-sensitive. I need to mix-and-match dark mode browser plugins for Canvas, which doesn't do the UI any favors. I urge Canvas to create a proper dark mode as well!

km3121
Community Member

With how popular Canvas is... I'm surprised ADA/ODS offices haven't pushed this matter.