cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

(165)

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

226 Comments
mramir11
Community Participant

I've seen people use external extensions for this, but I still can't believe it hasn't become an option directly on the site yet... 

jbryce
Community Member

Add a dark mode for canvas, would be easier on my eyes

TommyScholz
Community Member

A lot of people work late at night in the dark and all white hurts the eyes.

csalas
Community Member

I also thought Canvas would have a dark mode, so googled how to turn it on. Alas, it's not available. So I'm adding to this conversation because my eyes also need dark mode! (I do google slides in a black/dark background and use white text when presenting a reading/article!) ^_^

sarahcallan
Community Member

Has anyone else wanted to have dark mode as an option in Canvas?

PhillipMale
Community Member

Dark Mode would be fantastic!  I've had it for another school I worked in and it makes screen time SO MUCH BETTER.  They have Chrome and Firefox Dark Mode extensions you can download for Canvas but not in our system.  If it's a money issue, I'll chip in to pay the programmer.  Pretty sure if we crowdsourced this we could raise enough money pretty quickly to get this done.

After a year or so teaching almost exclusively online, I think it's way past time to get this feature added.  

Annguyen8646
Community Member

It would be nice if I can switch the background on canvas to black/ night mode because I'm a night owl and the white background gives me a bad headache 

km3121
Community Member

Please for the love of god develop a dark mode for visually impaired student. Chrome/Firefox extensions don't fully support Canvas. If not for the whole site, please allow dark mode for iOS. This is long overdue for those that have trouble with light colors and to minimize eye-strain. I understand there is a high-contrast UI and that's a nice start... but please add a dark (black or otherwise) mode. 

ElisabethUCF
Community Member

I provide technical support to University faculty and students using Canvas and am light-sensitive. I need to mix-and-match dark mode browser plugins for Canvas, which doesn't do the UI any favors. I urge Canvas to create a proper dark mode as well!

km3121
Community Member

With how popular Canvas is... I'm surprised ADA/ODS offices haven't pushed this matter. 

VoltageWarning
Community Member

Yes please! Literally the only iOS app I use that doesn’t have dark mode at this point, and since I’m so used to dark mode on my other apps using Canvas is just so jarring and makes it feel old and unintuitive.

MayaDeLeon1
Community Member

markus_1
Community Member

Canvas should really consider adding a "Dark Theme/Mode" as pretty much every website at this point has one. It really helps me focus a lot better having a dark environment.

ToshiaParker
Community Member

Maybe incorporate a dark mode or theme maker? The brightness hurts my eyes.

WhiteMango
Community Member

We still need dark mode!

Nightmodeplz
Community Member

Yes this idea is so essential for everyone's experience on Canvas as a whole! I have discussed with my friends about this, and we have always pondered about this idea ever since most apps/websites (social media, Quizlet, etc.) include a night feature. In the end its a win-win for all of us, so please include it. Thank you. 

GRANTHARDY
Community Member

Students who work late hours doing homework get blinded by the light mode of the app. It would be nice if there was an option for students to change to an oled dark mode so that it is easier to read. 🙂 thx

mysteryperson
Community Member

Dark mode helps decrease the chance of having any eye strain and decreases the chance of dry eyes. 

PatrickMeagher
Community Member

ADD a dark mode you are hurting your customers.

Alecd
Community Member

Most students study late into the night, it would be very nice to have a dark mode as it would be easier on the eyes.