[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
RYANKUCHENMEIST
Community Novice

We need a dark mode for canvas, Students sometimes spend hours doing homework, and the screen can really hurt the eyes. A dark mode would help students sleep better after a long day of homework.  And it would be better on the eyes. I speak for everyone when I say that a dark mode would be appreciated

JKYLE
Community Novice

EricRedding
Community Novice

Hello there! I am here to suggest an idea for Canvas. DARK MODE. WE NEED IT. IT'S ALMOST 2022 AND WE STILL DON'T HAVE IT. First off, staring at a bright screen for an extended amount of time is bad for your eyes. Second, having only a Bright Mode means that it will drain battery faster. Is this really what you want? This is a terrible influence for students at schools, as it could weaken their eyesight. It is also a problem because, as I mentioned, it drains battery faster, which could also cause problems with school. You used Dark Mode as an example for keywords, and yet for some reason, you STILL haven't added it. Please add Dark Mode! WE NEED IT!

DJADRN
Community Novice

I would love to have a Night/Day mode.  I have to study while my family sleeps and it makes it better if i don’t wake them due to the light from my screen.  I would be very grateful if this was an option.  Thank you.

SAMUELJEFFERIES
Community Member

Please, I really need this. I always get bad headaches after looking at a bright screen for hours on end, even during the day. It's been almost 3 years now.

LukeBradley
Community Novice

Due to my dyslexia, it can be a challenge using the standard white background and black text as it becomes very blurry for me and i find it very difficult to read more than a sentence, giving dark mode with a black background and white text is much easier for me and not so harsh on my eyes. it may also be beneficial to have an option of combinations to better suit all students.

noobmaster69
Community Novice

Self-explanatory. I'm depressed and sleep-deprived and it's a lot harder to read through my tears on light mode. 

km3121
Community Member

Hopefully we will see this soon.

PhillipMale
Community Member

This conversation has been going on for about 3.5 years and still no word or update on a dark mode.

At this point it just looks like posturing with no real exercise expectation for change.

km3121
Community Member

It can't be that hard. I think the concern is more for those institutions that have custom themes. Still, it needs to be an option. At least we have an immersive reader.