[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
robertfelix12
Community Novice

SOPHIADELEON
Community Novice

they should add this i always blind my self while studding or when my teachers lights are off even when my brightness is down 😞

rickh
Community Participant

We had requests lately by our students for the Dark Mode to  be available.  One reason is that it does not distract other people in dorm rooms, classrooms, etc.

ZB13
Community Novice

We need a dark mode on this app. I don't like being flashed every time I open it to to homework/exams. Needs to be black/white letters/borders or even gray would work well but this white isn't it.

DutchGames
Community Novice

because there are students doing computer work at night and a darker background will help them.

AbenezerLakew
Community Novice

Just give the children dark mode it's a universal theme now, just wanna let you know that.

AbenezerLakew
Community Novice

I'm not who you think I am...

UnnamedEngineer
Community Member

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, However I also feel as though the discussion should also include mention that this should not be simply thrown together by changing a color here and there. A dark theme is functional, and intuitive. There are many important design concepts to consider with a dark theme. Here are some extremely helpful resources.

https://material.io/design/color/dark-theme.html
https://uxdesign.cc/dark-mode-ui-design-the-definitive-guide-part-1-color-53dcfaea5129

We also need to consider how those design concepts differ when creating a dark theme for the mobile app.
Here is a resource that may be useful in that pursuit.

https://material.io/blog/android-dark-theme-tutorial

AaronGwin
Community Member

I'm a student that has used Canvas for years.

It's past due for Canvas to provide students such as myself with a dark mode option. If you suggest searching for "dark" instead of "dark mode" as an example of how to search for similar post ideas, then that implies you are already well aware that a dark mode feature is of popular interest in your community. There are posts that go back 3 years requesting a dark mode. There's no excuse for not providing it if you know your community has been in need of it.

It's not just about comfort or leisure. It's an accessibility issue. To quote your ownaccessibility standards, "Ensuring an accessible and pleasant experience to all users, regardless of disability, is a key element of Canvas software." You are falling short of your own standards by failing to provide the students that use your platform a more accessible learning environment. Give us a dark mode.

Thank you in advance for making up for countless nights of unyielding blinding light Canvas screens.

Sincerely,

A disgruntled student

mj0728
Community Novice

This would be so helpful. I get such a headache from the brightness of the canvas website.