[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
LvO_
Community Novice

Give canvas a darkmode function

AaronTomlinson
Community Novice

Dark Theme must be created!  This screen is killing my eyes!  Please make this happen.  This thread is 3.5 years old and you still haven't done anything about it?  How hard can it be to provide dark theme?

llaestad
Community Member

Please, please, make a dark mode. For those of us with vision impairment this is an accessibility issue. It's an absolute nightmare to use speed grader with that bright white screen.

DouglasEgger
Community Novice

add a dark mode I look at it all day and it hurts my eyes

DouglasEgger
Community Novice

add a dark mode

DouglasEgger
Community Novice

ignore this I just thought this Screenshot 2021-10-26 124910.jpg

PhoenixTeahouse
Community Member

We've all been stuck at home, our work and school lives relegated to a variety of computer screens for almost two years now, and honestly I think we can all agree that staring at a bright white screen for long periods of time can almost certainly cause regular headaches or unnecessary eyestrain. I'm hoping that canvas can finally do something about the user interface we've all come to know, and make it so that those of us who spend hours working on projects, math homework, papers, don't have to also sacrifice our eyes and physical wellbeing to get our work done. 

There are chrome extensions out there for canvas dark mode, but I firmly believe we shouldn't have to look beyond canvas itself for a solution to our eye strain and migraines of epic proportion. Thank you for your time. 

KailynnHall
Community Member

Make a dark mode in canvas

Lr13
Community Novice

Being as most programs have dark mode, I think canvas should also have the option as well. Being on the computer studying for hours makes it hard with the bright white background. My eyes would appreciate it!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

Edd1
Community Member

That so cool good Job!