[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
imnotill
Community Member

Come on now. Its 2022. Please add dark mode for the sake of canvas. Its easier on the eyes and can use less power.

Amelia1124
Community Novice

Instead of the backgrounds being primarily white, maybe consider having a dark mode. I find having the option of dark mode easier on the eyes and to read in general. It also makes things easier to focus and not as much eye strain. I am a student who (when there is an option for it) uses dark mode constantly. Having the drastic change from dark to light when logging into canvas to do school work really hurts my eyes. They are very sensitive. I know several people who would also benefit from having this option.

LGilmore
Community Member

Dark mode is 1. highly preferred by most people these days (for years now) and 2. Much easier on some people who have eye problems. 

I cannot understand why in 2022 there is still no dark mode on here considering the plethora of people who have suggested it. Disappointing 

LORDLIMABEAN
Community Novice

A great method of getting dark mode for canvas that I like is through Opera GX. There is a built in feature in this platform called Force Dark Mode, and makes canvas look dark, and although it isn't as good as if there were a theme made for canvas dark mode, it does look better than the current theme. This doesn't just affect canvas. It makes all websites dark mode, along with many other features. I suggest you try it out.

LORDLIMABEAN
Community Novice

Hello!

I am a student who uses canvas as my main platform for schoolwork, and I think that a dark mode should be added, as it is much more pleasant for most people to look at, and dark mode is a popular theme in teens and tweens, so it only makes sense to add a dark mode feature as teens and tweens are the main users of this platform. Most student love dark mode on Google Chrome, YouTube and other platforms, and I think it would also be a great addition to canvas.  Please consider adding this theme. For most people its much easier on the eyes, and just looks better overall.

Thanks

HenryDunn
Community Member

A dark mode would be really cool, the website hurts my eyes with all the bright lights.

tissuebox7
Community Novice

Allow the display interface to be changed from normal white to black or similar colors so that light sensitivity is lessened for the user.

ElinorAppel
Community Member

I am just adding my dark mode vote here. Several of my students have already mentioned this to me, and the quarter has just started! I use dark mode wherever I can AND I wear tinted glasses. I think this should be a priority fix rather a feature for down the road someday.

Kylie_Rogers17
Community Member

Hello, I am a student who would like to add a dark mode option. Dark mode is a mode on most social media where you can make your screen darker, without lowering the brightness. An example of dark mode would be making the back color a dark color, usually a shade of bluish-grey. Dark mode would benefit students by making it easier to look at the screen during an early morning of classwork. The high contrast mode already does a portion of this, but it would be more useful if the color of classes stayed the same and the back round was actually darker. Dark mode benefits by letting students look at screens longer. It also helps when teachers are showing something on screen and all the computer light gets distracting. For physical examples of dark mode you can go to settings on a social media app and change it to see what it looks like. One version of dark mode that I, personally, like is the dark mode for twitter. Now days (2022) people use dark mode on everything. Usually people that use light mode still are considered weird. Dark mode is very popular and will make other students more willing to do their classwork.

(TLDR)

Reasons we should have dark mode (summed up)

1. Less stress on the eyes at early hours
  2. Able to work on classwork longer
  3. Darker room when watching things in class
  4. Its more popular and literally almost everything has it.

You may be wondering, Kylie, there is another dark mode idea on this app, why aren't you contributing to that? Well that was posted in 2016, it is now 6 YEARS later and there still isn't a suitable dark mode. So I decided to make a longer idea with more points. Hopefully convincing the creators to add this. You may think, Kylie, why can't you just add the chrome extension? Well the person who set our computers up blocked us from downloading literally anything.

Thank you for reading this, I appreciate your time. --Kylie

KatelynWilms
Community Member

Yas queen, slay. I 1000% agree 🙂