[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
darkmode
Community Novice

dark mode

Cassiel8198
Community Member

A toggle in settings from light to dark would be a good idea.

But for a bigger, more personalized color settings, collecting blocks of elements to be recolored using a color selector or hex code would be even better. 

This would be great in both the website version and mobile version. 

JS_
Community Member

Its been 3 years.. Can we please get a built in dark mode?

marcoesv
Community Novice

It would be nice if Canvas could have dark mode compatibility on Mac, most of my classes are in the morning and I have my computer on dark mode during this time, but Canvas remains bright white.  

Sleepysleep
Community Member

Some students may not feel comfortable with the bright, blue light shining into their eyes, as a student, I also do not feel comfortable with this, with a dark mode, we can relax our eyes when we just wake up in the morning. Some benefits may include less headaches, better concentration, and a more relaxing online experience. 👍

CharlieWoah
Community Member

Yes! I love websites/apps that allow dark mode, it makes for a more comfortable environment and less overwhelming bright light.

hrjohnso
Community Member

Having a theme option for Canvas would be wonderful for those sensitive to the brightness of the white background.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @hrjohnso ...

FYI ... There is already an existing Feature Idea here in the Community that you might want to participate in about wanting a Dark Theme: Dark Theme for Canvas - Canvas Community.

hrjohnso
Community Member

Yes!  Having the option within canvas to use dark themes would be wonderful.  Let's do it Canvas!

Laughing_Vibes
Community Member

Okay, so I know that there are already comments that have dark mode extensions for Google Chrome. If you use Safari, try downloading the Night Eye extension. I am currently using it and it has a 3 month free trial period and a free lite version. 

Even though there are extensions, I would still like Canvas to make it a point to develop its own dark mode.