[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
MilesDitto
Community Novice

Please add dark mode to canvas. It would be very helpful since I am looking at a computer screen everyday and would like this feature.

student129
Community Novice

JOSIAHPALOMINO
Community Member

On Canvas there should be a Dark Mode so that way it is not super bright when I am trying to work and other apps have a dark mode that I like but it bothers me that Canvas does not even have a Dark Mode so I hope you can take this idea into consideration.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JOSIAHPALOMINO ...

There is already an existing Feature Idea called Dark Theme for Canvas - Canvas Community that you might be interested in following.  If you feel that the Feature Idea link I've provided aligns with something you'd like to see implemented by Instructure (the company that makes Canvas), then you might want to rate that idea with a star and also post a comment to that thread letting their engineers know why this would be important to you.

I hope this will be of help!

MAURICEJONES
Community Novice

DominicZappia
Community Member

A Dark Mode option would be nice to have. It's easier on the eyes, and after coming off of a dark-themed page it won't be as blinding.

Norellio
Community Member

I'm using some extension add-on rn but plz do add dark mode 

YJ3
Community Member

Especially during late night sessions, a dark mode in canvas would be an amazing addition, as it would help reduce eye strain considering everything is now online.

jradams01
Community Novice

Have the option to turn on a dark mode to make it easier on the eyes. This would change the white background to black and possible make the outlines white or something.

dbell72
Community Member

Please, please, please.

My pandemic "office" is in my basement. And Canvas is literally the only thing I cannot adjust. I teach graphic design and web design so I'm already on the computer for far more hours than most.

While teaching via Zoom, I even warn my students when I am screen sharing and about to switch to Canvas because the vividness of the white is not just jarring, it is painful.

And I would be absolutely fine with having to alter some of my own content to work with a dark mode feature. Give us an option to preview our content in both modes. Give us the option to create a dark mode version. I think these would be welcomed additions by all users of the platform.