[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
CRACKER420
Community Member

Canvas should have a "Dark mode" just like other apps like Quizlet. At times when we are working late or studying we can not have too blind are selfs when doing work.

CRACKER420
Community Member

WOW such a smart idea they should add this. "wink wink" 

Jackles
Community Member

Please add a dark mode for blend since us students use it all day and it burns our eyes 

Zephryus
Community Member

I love the idea of course as I'm a student, and actually came to the community forums to suggest the idea myself. The only problem I'm seeing is that this post has been here since 2018 and nothing has been done about it. I personally feel like people are ignoring it. I mean come on, the post is from April of 2018 and the post is still "Open for Conversation". I would like to believe that they will implement this feature and of course I am all for it. But that does nothing if they don't do anything about it. Whoever read this thank you for your time and I hope you have a wonderful day.

jmills1
Community Member

I think the main issue preventing a simple dark mode would be how teachers/professors customize their pages with different colored fonts, images, etc... Dark mode is simple if every page were black and white.  But that's not the case.  Instead, there could be an option for course creators that limits how they may create pages in order to enable dark modes for their students.  It's a bit of a trade-off, but worth it in my mind. 

mlperilla
Community Member

Was going to make a post about this. I'm am all for Dark mode 👍🏼 For now, I'm just using the Google Chrome extension. Not perfect, but it works. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-mode-for-canvas/jgiilnejobjjdnjkpoahdglfejggnfgh?hl=e...

pariseault_a
Community Member

I would absolutely love this feature! Thanks for sharing!

Darklilly
Community Member

For those who you use dark mode such as me, you should be able to use dark mode, I do not like looking at light mode and it hurts my eyes

Darklilly
Community Member

yes

Lncopeland
Community Novice

Canvas should make an update where people are allowed the option of regular or dark mode. Most of my apps and features I have in the dark mode, so when I come into canvas every time it is brighter and I forget that it’s different. This would be a very unique feature added on.