[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
whaleyjo
Community Member

canvas needs dark mode! i know they are listening they just have to do something about it.

fafzal
Community Member

I noticed that this discussion started in 2018 and here we are at the end of 2020. Can you please get it already before I graduate?

Bear14w
Community Novice

Adding a dark mode to canvas would be extremely beneficial, especially since many users likely use it at night.  It should be very simple to add as well.  Thank you!!

A_Millenial
Community Member

This could drastically benefit our health if less light is being shot out of my computer, thanks to the developers who made this possible btw. 🙂

s4s
Community Member

Hello canvas team,

I’d like to have the dark mode for canvas, just started the MS in Information Security/Cybersecurity and we can’t wait to use a theme that will be comfort for our eyes, there’s a lot to read over there, I promise to work hard to protect the cyber world environment..

SAS

UCScott
Community Explorer

Canvas dark mode will be an essential upgrade that should be prioritized. Please help us Instructure!

slowery20
Community Novice

Most of the canvas to me is white space. I'd love it it we could have a grey, black theme so the backlight of the website would be easier on the eyes.

Jaquoobo
Community Novice

I am a student and my school uses canvas, and I think it would be good if canvas had a dark mode.

Daviongarcia
Community Member

Dark mode

Community Member

dark mode would be nice to have cause canvas is really bright and most kids use dark mode instead on other apps.