Decimal Places in Quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

It would be nice if you could hide or select the number of decimals displayed when using the numerical response option in a quiz.

Currently, if you are using the numerical response option, when you hit submit the answer adds a decimal point and displays four zeroes to the right of the decimal point. While this does not change the value, and I am sure it is part of the system's method of being accurate in checking that an answer is correct it can create issues for younger students. Younger students who have not yet learned about decimal points see their answer change when they submit and may believe that the computer is changing their response.

Is there a way to hide the logic check, so the student does not see the conversion? or be able to turn off the conversion?

There is a work around, that is more intensive on the teacher. If you want to avoid the display of the number changing you can opt to use the Fill in the Blank response type. This leads to the need to create multiple possible correct answers to include commas, which is why the numerical answer does the conversion no doubt. It just would be nice if the conversion was hidden from view of the student.

Comments from Instructure

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

This idea was indirectly developed through "Numerical Answer with Precision"

14 Comments
amixon
Community Member

This is important in the sciences as well.  When dealing with classes that follow and use significant figures, there is a huge difference in the precision of a number when you compare 12, 12.0, 12.00, 12.000, and 12.0000.  To change the number on us is absolutely incorrect.

sshumway
Community Novice

I teach math and physics, and I agree with this feature request!  The formula question type has this feature and may meet your needs until this feature is added to the numerical question type.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

amixon
Community Member

All. Given that this is open for voting until october I wanted to share my workaround.  I use fill in the blank for numerical answer. It then treats the answer like text. So if you have several acceptable values (due to rounding for example) you can place both answers in as correct.  What ypu can't do however is give specific feedback on almost right wrong answers.

for example if the correct answer is 2.5 but you will accept 2.4 and 2.6 as other correct answers then you can type all three in as potential ok answers. If you wanted to tell them 2.2 is wrong and here is why you can't do that, sadly. But hey, here is a numeric work around that works. And Canvas will not say 2.50 is a correct answer if the correct answer is only 2.5. Hope that helps!

april​

sshumway
Community Novice

Formula questions may be helpful. I often allow answers within 5% of the exact answer.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey April,

Just to clarify; we won't necessarily wait until an idea has had its full three month cycle to be developing it.  We might already have been working on it before it was suggested, we might bump it up in priority based on how many votes it gets and how hard it would be to implement before the end of the three months, or possibly we might archive an idea earlier if there is no way we would ever build it no matter how many votes it gets - to my knowledge that hasn't ever happened but it is theoretically possible.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png110154_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression. After Community members submit feature ideas, they are reviewed by the Community Team and put to a vote by the community-at-large. If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived. Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes. Some feature ideas that do not receive the initial 100 votes can be resubmitted by Community members. As people's needs change, sometimes an old idea gets new traction. Oftentimes similar archived feature ideas are still evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

h_mukaddam
Community Contributor

Any idea if and when this will go back up for a vote?  I think it would be an excellent feature especially for our younger learners.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @h_mukaddam ​

Please take a look at " modifiedtitle="true" title="decimal option for numerical test answers.​  This idea was completed in October!

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

This idea was indirectly developed through "Numerical Answer with Precision"

fazliyana001
Community Novice

All 10 questions on my computer-marked assignment is asking for answers to be in 2 decimal places. But when I input my answers, it auto change to 4 decimal places. eg if my answer is 66.67 it changes to 66.6700

How will this be marked if I input 66.6700 or 66.6667?

If the questions are really asking for 2 decimal places only, ill probably be getting zero out of 10 for this test. I don't seem to be able to get any help from anyone so far..