Deduct X% or X points per day for each day an assignment submission is late

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As an instructor, I want to specify that late submissions to a given assignment have X% or X points deducted from their possible score for each day the submission is late. This setting would be configurable at the course, assignment group, and individual assignment level. I should have the option to manually override late penalties for a given student.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Neal Legler

Special thanks for contributions from: Mike Griffiths, C. David Frankel, Annaleah Morrow, Desiree Shultz

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

58 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes! This is a much desired feature that would be a huge time-saver for our faculty!

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yep, can't wait to cast my vote for this one.

pjudy
Community Novice

Yes.  This would be quite helpful!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

How cool would this be?!? Right now I have to track this on a scrap of paper. Smiley Sad

ejackson
Community Champion

Our instructors definitely want this!!!

amixon
Community Member

Oh my!  Yes - currently I have to manually do this - or, give them no credit at all.   It would be great to allow students to complete assignments late at a penalty.

ehills
Community Participant

This is a bad educational practice. If your assignments are to show mastery of knowledge, why does one day late change their level of knowledge or mastery compared to two days late? Preparing them for the real world, you say? In the real world, you ask for an extension if you can't accomplish the task you were given in the allotted time.

amixon
Community Member

Eric

I respectfully disagree.  In many classes that I know of we post answer keys.  When we allow students to email us and say, I can't make this deadline, it impacts the entire class.

You cannot always be granted an extension.  I am completing a wellness survey, I have to earn 2000 health points by the 14th or I don't get my 125.00 incentive.  If I don't make the amount, do you think that I can contact my insurance company and ask for an extension?  No.

What if your company has a huge presentation with outside parties - you are hosting it.  Can you contact your boss and say - shoot,  I didn't get my presentation completed by the event - can I have an extension?  No.

Mastery isn't just about content - it's about personal responsibility, meeting deadlines, following a calendar.

You don't get extensions in life, it's simply not practical, and it's not fair to give the same grade to a student who met all of the goals and deadlines as one who did not.

If you are concerned about the one time scenarios, Canvas has in place the ability to drop X scores from an assignment group. That takes care, easily, with students who had something terrible and legitimate come up.  But I cannot, and will not delay the educational progress to on time students for those who are chronic offenders, no matter how much content they know.  I have your future doctors, veterinarians, and engineers in my class.  Something tells me that holding them to deadlines is something all would appreciate.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@amixon ​ and  @ehills ​, the way I see it, the pedagogy-neutral approach would be to have this feature available in the LMS so that instructors could decide for themselves what constitutes good educational practice.

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Why wouldn't you want an ?

For your idea, how would you want this look when implemented? Does a -5% appear in the grade book? Does a 95% Appear in the grade book? a negative score? or the max possible score with the deduction? (e.g. 95/100). I would think asking for X numbers of points be deducted would be easier to do, clearer to the students rather than %.