Deduct X% or X points per day for each day an assignment submission is late

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As an instructor, I want to specify that late submissions to a given assignment have X% or X points deducted from their possible score for each day the submission is late. This setting would be configurable at the course, assignment group, and individual assignment level. I should have the option to manually override late penalties for a given student.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Neal Legler

Special thanks for contributions from: Mike Griffiths, C. David Frankel, Annaleah Morrow, Desiree Shultz

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

58 Comments
amixon
Community Member

Hi John

Sapling Learning does this with their online homework system and it doesn't seem to cause confusion for the students.  You can set it to only deduct %.  So I have my Sapling set to deduct 5% per day for one week.  And the cool thing there is that it only deducts for problems they haven't completed.  So if a student does 15/20 problems and earns all credit.  And then does the remaining 5 1 day late, they are only penalized on the 5 late problems.  If Canvas could use that as a model that would be great - I don't think they can as their current set up since we can't see progress as a student goes through the quiz, only when they submit - however perhaps that too could be changed.

I would like to see the grade highlighted in red - as it is now, when something late is submitted - that way if a student emails us and says "why is my grade so low" we can easily see it's red and say, well, because you completed it late.

% is easier to deal with simply because it would then be normalized - meaning, it wouldn't matter if your assignment was 2 pts or 200 pts.  5% would be 5%. Obviously 1 pt off a 2 pt assignment is 50%, but 1 pt off a 200 pt assignment is nothing overall.  So I would actually prefer % deduction instead.  But either option would be an improvement!

April

mworden
Community Novice

Eric, I understand where you're coming from. While I wouldn't want to do this on every assignment, it is nice to have for those assignments that do have a specific reason for a deadline.

jbuchner
Community Contributor

I'd agree with Stefanie: having the feature be able to be switched on/off would be the best way to run it (on/off at the class or assignment level though?) and more over, if you have a reason to ignore the late penalty for extenuating circumstances for the student, I'd hope you could just enter the score manually, like every other assignment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user​, comments like yours make me so glad that we have a community commenting on these feature ideas! Until you brought it up, it never occurred to me that the proposed feature, if left unfettered, might allow a student's grade to dip into negative territory.

I concur! I'd also like to see an adjustable box with a maximum penalty, or a maximum number of days--since, for example, on certain of my assignments I allow students to submit up to five days late with a penalty of 10% for each late day, after which time the submission will not be accepted and the grade for the assignment will be 0. Right now I do that manually. Having a feature that allows me to set maximum penalty/maximum days late would be very helpful.

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

​I set my grading policy up this way, too.

What about something that would happen behind the scenes:

if no submission, then no penalty

if late submission, then calculate penalty based on submission date once grade is entered. Include boilerplate explanatory text.

if grade is 0, then no penalty

Deal with maximum days late by using the "available until" dates that are already baked in.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I love this feature request. We are working on some gradebook enhancements this fall that will lay the foundation to accommodate setting up late rules. I would love it if you and everyone you know would join this group Grading Late Rules to help us fully scope the potential for this feature. That’s the good news. The less good news is, we won’t actually get to implementing this feature in the next 6 months… which by our community rules means we have to archive the idea. But please don’t think that that means we’re not going to do this. This feature is literally on the top of my list of things to tackle as soon as we’ve finished our first round gradebook enhancements… which as I mentioned, lays the foundation for setting these rules up in the gradebook settings. I can’t wait to learn more about all your policies.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

not sure how related this post is related    but see my comments re rubrics we require that i suspect are needed also for this feature

caryn
Community Member

An additional use case would be graded quizzes. Instructors would like to set a deadline, then a penalty for each day/hour that the submission is late (i.e. deduct 10% for every 24 hours late); the score would then be flagged within the gradebook as late, and automatically reduced. This is a high priority for the UC Irvine community.

beverly_jenkins
Community Novice

I would like to be able to deduct a flat percent for all late work, regardless of how late it is.

jaskegreen
Community Member

I'm a bit disappointed with you Instructure. This is a basic necessity when it comes to grading and you're going about it like it's buried in red tape. This requests goes way back; get ur dun!