Deduct X% or X points per day for each day an assignment submission is late

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As an instructor, I want to specify that late submissions to a given assignment have X% or X points deducted from their possible score for each day the submission is late. This setting would be configurable at the course, assignment group, and individual assignment level. I should have the option to manually override late penalties for a given student.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Neal Legler

Special thanks for contributions from: Mike Griffiths, C. David Frankel, Annaleah Morrow, Desiree Shultz

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

58 Comments
jbuchner
Community Contributor

Given that different people on this thread have differing opinions on what this feature will be (points v. %, accumulation of penalties, how this will be displayed on the interface) not to mention the coding involved to get it right all the time, there's a lot going on here.

For now, I'm okay with calculating the penalties by hand, but I look forward to progress on this feature.

jaskegreen
Community Member

I understand the difficulties behind it all, but let's not be enablers here. This is a professional company with professional coders. Lots of schools pay lots of money to have a product that works well, but lacks some basic functionality.

mworden
Community Novice

This is part of the process, and I appreciate Instructure taking the time to get it right.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now Under Consideration.  Find out more about the idea stages at What is the feature development process for Canvas?

kmatson
Community Explorer

Yes Canvas we need this request. I have a faculty member with just over 400 students. He has 10 you try it quizzes each week times 10 weeks; he can't manually do this work. He doesn't use the until feature as he will give students one extra week to "catch up".

Thank you,

Karen Matson

bakerw
Community Novice

This would be a great feature. I understand that for some instructors, mastering the subject is the important factor and not when that mastery is achieved. They can simply set the system to not deduct points if it is late.

IMHO, part of academic discipline is not only to master the subject but to do so in a timely manner. If I say an assignment is due on a certain date and then we go over it a week later after I have graded them, a student could just copy down the answers when we go over it, turn it in and get the same score as another student who did the work on time. Most of my students are going into healthcare and doing the right thing at the right time is critical. 

There are also skills that must be mastered in a specific order. For example, I have an on-line quiz on a lab procedure that is due before we actually do the lab. This is intended to have students master how to do a fundamental technique before they get into the lab. Having them complete the quiz after the lab defeats the entire purpose of it. (I also notice that students who do well on the quiz breeze through the lab; those who do poorly or turn it in after lab struggled in the lab.)

-- Wayne

ebind
Community Novice

This feature would be very helpful.  I use "quizzes" not only to assess, but also as practice exercises for homework. Canvas pulls a number of questions at random from a question bank. Students may repeat the exercises as many times as they need to feel comfortable with the material.  Each time they do the exercise, they receive a different set of questions.  They receive points for doing the exercise, but if it is not completed at least once before the deadline, I would like to assign a penalty of a certain number of points or a percentage per (school) day late.  This percentage or number of points penalty should be adjustable for each assignment.

peterakers
Community Novice

This is the kind of thing which comes under basic functionality rather than under the umbrella of useful features. Instructors in larger classes need this yesterday. Is this any closer to happening than it was last July?

cohenf
Community Participant

Absolutely. This is a common-place feature in other LMS's including the last one we had. Disappointing to not have it. To have to note the penalty to student in "instructions" is more inefficient than having that info automatically generated. To have to apply penalty oneself is also inefficient.

randy
Community Novice

I help different organizations with E-Learning and many of clients that use Canvas ask about this feature.  It would be great to see it as an option.