[Gradebook] Default Comment

When I use the grade book I like to enter zeros for work not submitted by using the "set default grade" feature. It would be very beneficial if there were also a "Set Default Comment" feature that operated in the same way. Currently I have to go back into speed grader to leave a comment. That defeats the purpose of the "Set Default Grade" feature for me. I would just enter the grade and comment at the same time in Speed Grader.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

43 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission,  @andrew_starnes ​. Would this idea be similar to what you're looking for: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/...

Looking forward to your comments.

andrew_starnes
Community Novice

Thank you, the feature idea you linked me to is only specific to speed grader. I am talking about the grade book it self. It currently allows you to enter a default grade that could make all the blanks zeros (or what ever value you enter). I am asking if it's possible to have the same feature to set a default comment in the gradebook that would go along with the grades I just set as default. If I wish to leave a comment on those grades, I now have to go back through speed grader to leave the comment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@andrew_starnes ​, I know this isn't exactly what you've asked for here, but as an interim remedy, could you leverage the "Message students who..." capability in the Gradebook to do this? Set the criteria to match the default grade and send a message that will serve as an assignment comment for those students. You'll find instructions on that feature in How do I send a message to my students from the Gradebook?

andrew_starnes
Community Novice

Thank you, that would be a short term solution. However, that message does not make it easy for the student to look at their grades page and see all of the comments left by a teacher. This is also an issue when teachers have their observations. In my district, an admin would want to be able to look and see that you have given feedback for all grades, even if they are zeros. The messages are not tied to the course, only the student. Does that make sense? This would fall under feature idea/request correct?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes,  @andrew_starnes ; what I offered is a short-term solution, but I agree it would not provide the same functionality as assignment comments currently do. I was able to find a long-ago similar feature idea submission-- --that only received a few votes. (The feature idea mentions a default grade option "in SpeedGrader," but I suspect the underlying intent was to have it available as part of the default grade functionality currently available in the Gradebook.)

As time passes, priorities change, so perhaps your newly-submitted idea will gain traction in the next voting round, assuming it is put forward. And if someone else can find a more recent similar feature idea, or one that's currently open for voting, please add the link here. Thanks!

andrew_starnes
Community Novice

Thank you for your help. Do you have any advice on how to get my request more accessible. The only issue I have with this process is that I suspect the average teacher using Canvas is not constantly searching the forums to vote on feature requests and ideas. Is there a better way to build an audience.

allison_sweeney
Community Novice

Andrew- I to see the value in being able to mass comment. Not just for zeros but in general, it would save some time. Thanks for the idea.

gavonne_hamilto
Community Novice

Andrew, I believe this would be a great time solver.  I am always looking for ways to make grading easier and faster.  Thank you for making the suggestion.

brenda_drye
Community Novice

I think this would be a great addition to Canvas. It would allow me to be more efficient as a teacher grading assignments.

Brenda Drye

jan_anderson
Community Novice

As more teachers blend their content with Canvas, the feature of entering comments en masse would help expedite timely feedback for students and allow for greater growth for those students.