Default Font Adjustment for WYSIWYG Text Entry

(3)
Our Canvas administrators need the ability to set the default font to 12 point or higher. 10 is very small when it comes to accessibility requirements. Most modern web standards suggest a font size between 12 and 16 pt for the displaying of text. Assignment text renders too small at 10 pt and it is annoying to have to constantly change the font formatting when creating items in Canvas. The same goes for quizzes. Changing the font for each question stem and distractor is too cumbersome.
26 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

eric_evans1
Community Member

We are still getting a default font size of 12pt in our WYSIWYG Editor. We would really like to be able to control the default font size at the instance-level.WYSIWYG Editor Toolbar with Font Selector Highlighted with Arrow

kim_ferbrache
Community Novice

I agree. I’m still waiting for this. It would sure save me a lot of time making accommodations for my students.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

elizabethstrong
Community Member

Mine still defaults to 12 pt as well.  It would be wonderful to be able to make global changes to a quiz especially, since each multiple choice answer is several clicks of formatting.  

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello friends! Sorry I'm late to the party.

I just wanted to comment two important things related to font size in Canvas.

1. Our default font size for regular text is 12 points (which is 16 pixels, or 1 em.) Measuring things in ems/rems is important for #2...
  2. The best way to support users with visual acuity issues is not for each teacher to make their text larger (thank goodness!) but instead for the user to be able to zoom in and out, override Canvas styles to use different/larger fonts, and of course screen reader support; all of which Canvas does (which is great!)

One of the best things about Canvas embracing modern web technologies is that users have this control and don't have to rely on admins or teachers to do any extra work to ensure they can use the accessibility tools and settings they already have!

(Bonus tip for anyone who just misplaces their glasses sometimes: zooming in and out, making everything in Canvas bigger or smaller, is as simple as CTRL/CMD + and CTRL/CMD -. Most browsers are even smart enough to remember this setting per website!)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Based on what was shared by dylons, this Idea is being archived to make way for other Ideas. Thank you to everyone who participated in this long-standing discussion. 

How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?