[Account Settings] Default Grading Schemes at the Account Level

Because schools often have a school-wide grading scheme that might differ from the default in Canvas, it would be much more efficient if, at the account level, administrators could set the default grading scheme.  Currently, we can create a grading scheme that is available to teachers.  But, if every teacher has to manually go into settings to switch to that grading scheme, it is pretty inefficient.

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

28 Comments
help_desk
Community Novice

It would be great to be able to apply a grading scheme for all the courses at our high school. We are using quarter courses and staff do not remember to add this, let alone times 4 and then for 4 classes.

*On the same note, adding a grading scheme in general is a really poor interface. The small box and having to scroll and click in so many places is frustrating.

I have created our grading scheme at account level, but would make a huge impact for both accuracy and happiness if staff just had that one applied to any course in our school.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has been re-submitted here: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Set up Default Grade scales for all courses. It will be open for voting in the next voting cycle (April 6, 2016).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

llortsher
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Everyone!

If you are familiar with how to use the API, you can use this API https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/all_resources.html#method.courses.update and this parameter `course[grading_standard_id]` to set the grading scheme in each course. Keep in mind Canvas doesn't support API / JS / CSS so you would want to make sure that you have someone to maintain the code added to your instance.

Thanks!

bhau1
Community Novice

Upvoted.

I would like to add that this is a necessity for any school system where A-F is not used, such as in my own country of Norway. Here we use 6-1 and having to change the grading scheme is an obtrusive reminder of the fact that Canvas is not designed around our needs every time we make an assignment. I imagine it is the same for many other countries that Canvas is expanding into. Just change it.

gharbor
Community Participant

This seems like a "no brainer" to me.. it would just require one button next to site level grading schemes that an organisation has created to "Set as Default". If not set it can use the current "invisible" one that Canvas uses.

282165_GradingSchemeDefault.png

Then at a course level staff can choose to use the grading scheme for the course or select other schemes for tasks ect..

Thoughts?

tlc_OU
Community Participant

We at the University of Oklahoma would love to be able to apply a default grading scheme at the account level that is more aligned with what the university uses for the majority of courses.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi tcox‌! Since I don't use grades the normal way, I usually skip ideas in the Studio that are related to grading, but I saw your name here so I voted up too. 🙂

Thanks for all your help this semester with my two Canvas hiccups. 

tlc_OU
Community Participant

Thank you! And it's always my pleasure to assist you guys; I want to make your teaching experience as stress-free as possible if I can :smileygrin:

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

You are totally succeeding! 🙂