Default New-Item-in-Module Ordering Option

0 Likes
(1)

My role: Instructor

The currently forced situation of newly created items in a module appearing at the bottom of the list of items currently in the module ("chronological") is only sometimes useful; sometimes it is a pain in the neck.

I frequently build a module in which I want the most recent addition at the top of the list ("reverse chronological").  When there are many entries already in the module it is a pain to (a) scroll down to find the new item, then (b) drag the new item to the top of the list.  Reverse chronological ordering is also beneficial when building new items incompletely:  I like to see the incomplete (& unpublished) items at the top of the module, rather much as a "To Do" list wanting further attention.

So each module should be able to toggle a setting so as to choose between chronological and reverse chronological ordering re entry of new items in the module.

ALTERNATIVELY (but not quite as desirable, because it's still a pain to scroll to the bottom of the list to find a new item), if the item dragging icon could be right-clicked to access a "Move to Top of Module" and "Move to Bottom of Module" choice menu, that would also help.

Thanks.

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@gwojnar 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've moved it forward for conversation around the first idea contained in the description. Turning to the second one, drag-and-drop is one way instructors move items within modules; they can also click on the kebab menu that displays to the right of every module item and select 'Move to' to move that item to the desired spot within the module, or to a different module. This is detailed in How do I move or reorder a module item?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.