[New Quizzes] Default for Multiple Choice Quiz questions - make it 5!

I strongly suggest that Canvas return to (what I think was) the default of 1) having a Canvas multiple choice quiz question include 5 answer choices; and 2) have Canvas use the current number of choices as the next question default.

All of the multiple choice scoring machines (Scantron, etc.) and Textbook exam question banks use 5-answer-choice  questions, so I don't know why Canvas has decided to drop it to four.

AND at least let Canvas KEEP the previously-used number of choices for the next question. It does so if I reduce the number to two or three, but if i raise the number to five, it does NOT keep that as a default, but reverts to four choices.

So I am forced to add an answer choice for almost every one of my questions, adding a lot of tedium and time to building quizzes and exams.

Added to Theme

5 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Rated 5 stars! This comment by @cpgalt is the implementation I also suggest:

AND at least let Canvas KEEP the previously-used number of choices for the next question. It does so if I reduce the number to two or three, but if i raise the number to five, it does NOT keep that as a default, but reverts to four choices.

jhartman31
Community Explorer

YES PLEASE.

+1 to Rob's suggestion for the optimal behavior: default to the same number as the previous question.

crs367
Community Member

Yes! I feel like I waste so much time bringing it back to 5 options with every single multiple-choice question. I'm kind of shocked there isn't a way to set a default number of options. Every time I select "Multiple Choice" it only gives a default of 2 answer blanks every time and I have to keep clicking "add" over and over - it causes so much wasted time and extra frustrations. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme