[Notifications] Default notification settings profiles by user role

As an account or subaccount admin, I want to set default notification settings for my users by role. Like role-based permissions, these notification settings could be locked or unlocked; that is, I could choose to allow users in a given role to change a default notification setting or not.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Kurt Beer
Special thanks for contributions by: Pamela Wik-Grimm, Simon B. Walker, Tricia Jackson

79 Comments
nichole1
Community Novice

This is so true.  No one reads any of the important notifications because of all the unnecessary spam.  They just delete them rather than updating their settings. 

tbatiuk
Community Member

Hi Joe,

Would you be able to provide any resources on how you accomplished this feature through the API? We are relatively new to API calls but this is a much-needed feature we would like to implement. Thank you!

f_latulipe
Community Novice

Be careful, even if you use the API, this would not stop students from changing their notification settings via the User Interface, either from the web version or from the App.

Using the API is not a sustainable solution as far as I am concerned. This really needs to be a feature of Canvas.

candrew
Community Participant

This is why it is run periodically.  I agree that it is not a full solution.  I full solution would encompass allowing the user to set preferences on a course-by-course level and also having the ability, from an administrator/teacher side, of being able to lock those preferences on a per-course (or per-sub-account) basis.

matt17
Community Novice

This would be a great feature!  We are in a situation where submission feedback needs to be immediate and requesting hundreds of learners to set their notification setting appropriately tends to be problematic at best.  This would be a very useful tool for admins.

mytakeontech
Community Novice

We need this for our Parent Observers.   They are getting tons of messages they don't want.  The default should be a weekly summary and if they want more they can set it.

bergs
Community Participant

I would like this feature and be able to set it on a sub-account level.

c_murphy
Community Participant

Just adding my upvote for this - it would be very handy if we could set the default notifications by subaccount, or at least institution-wide.

worden
Community Explorer

Would love to see this feature!

bhaus
Community Explorer

I would like to see this as a feature.