[Notifications] Default notification settings profiles by user role

As an account or subaccount admin, I want to set default notification settings for my users by role. Like role-based permissions, these notification settings could be locked or unlocked; that is, I could choose to allow users in a given role to change a default notification setting or not.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Kurt Beer
Special thanks for contributions by: Pamela Wik-Grimm, Simon B. Walker, Tricia Jackson

79 Comments
tjr1
Community Participant

Working within a K-12 setting this would be a great feature to have to be able to toggle on and lock the settings.

c_murphy
Community Participant

If there were more documentation on how to set default notification settings via an API call that would be fine too. We haven't used API calls at our institution but I'm keen to learn how to utilise them if they would solve this and similar issues.

Landmark_Coll
Community Participant

I would like to upvote this idea as well. I see it's been in discussion for at least six years. Maybe this post will push it over the edge. 🙂

dwalker03
Community Member

Our district is also very interested in this.  Parent observers are being spammed with messages.  We need to be able to adjust these settings to a reasonable frequency and then allow the users to change them from there.  MASSIVE UPVOTE for implementing this ASAP.

BenAtStPatricks
Community Member

The ability for institutions to set notification defaults is important as is the argument that University students deserve freedom to choose. Canvas shouldn't decide the default, the institution should.

In regard to the argument of forcing students to receive certain types of notifications , you are correct. We shouldn't lock them to that level of notification, they should be able to choose to adjust the setting after the default was set when their account was created.

What should be a feature and what is actively being used in at least one other LMS to date is the ability for an institution to set the minimum and maximum settings for their users. If you are a K-12 school you should be able to set how intense the notifications are for a particular feature. e.g. at a minimum they should be able to select 'receive notifications in a weekly digest', at a maximum they should be able to select 'email me once daily'. This gives them a range to choose between but ensures their needs are met for their needs as seen by their school. Universities in the same method can set the minimum and maximum to be the lowest and highest options.

This would support all levels of education and respect their specific learners as their institutions know them best.

+1 for notification defaults by role

+1 for minimum and maximum notification settings by role 

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Unreal that this is 7 years old and still not a feature. We would love to set defaults for students and instructors which can then be altered if they want.

AdriëneGeurts
Community Member

It would be great if users whom have multiple roles within Canvas, could at least set their own notification settings per role. Just like they can set different settings per course.
I have instructures that also have an observer role to keep track of specific students, they don't need to receive all the notification for the courses that they are connected to due to their observer role.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme