[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

As with most things where the ability to "delete" something is asked for, I am going to ask for an Admin interface/button/etc that will let me undelete the deleted quiz attempt incase a mistake is accidentally made and the wrong attempt is deleted.

ecastro
Community Participant

This promise is now three years old. I confess significant disappointment that Instructure has not found a way to implement a solution to a technical problem in the midst of a quiz attempt that's being averaged.  quizzing is subject to regular error, and we instructors need an easy way to solve for that. Deleting an erroneous attempt is the easiest solution.

The "radar" thing is horsepucky.

cody_miller
Community Novice

As others have stated, this is an essential feature when averaging a student's grade on multiple quiz attempts. Is it really that difficult to implement? Does Instructure believe they know better than their own users? We use this platform every day (many of us without a choice). Add the feature already. Sheesh. 3 years in the making? That's ridiculous, Instructure.

matthew_martin1
Community Novice

Just wanted to make sure to add another voice to those asking for this feature. It seems odd to me that Canvas doesn't include a feature like this that seems critical to the kinds of day-to-day issues (accidental submissions, fire drills, internet outages) that all  teachers deal with.

tara_farr
Community Novice

It is critical that we have the ability to delete a quiz attempt. A student just took a quiz for semester 2 (it's early in semester 1). The quiz was published by accident (on my part), but now I cannot unpublish that quiz. So other students may scroll through the grades tab, find it and take it as he did. That will skew their final average since the grade is in semester 2. This is a big problem for me. I actually don't know how to fix this since I cannot unpublish the quiz, nor can I modify it in any way. It is a problem that will compound.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

farguet
Community Member

How do you resent the "Test Student?"

bbaumgartner
Community Novice

A student accidentally opened (and submitted) a test without answering any questions. Now that student can see the correct answers to the questions for a second attempt. The original attempt needs to be cleared so the correct answers are not available.

jennifer_hibber
Community Participant

Yes, as the person above stated, we realized that when adding another attempt for students, they can see the answers from their previous attempt. We really need to be able to delete attempts to remove the answers. 

afromero2
Community Participant

We have the same problem. We really need to be able to delete attempts.