[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
marianna_pinter
Community Participant

Apparently, it is still not addressed.

snugent
Community Champion

With current quiz tool I recommend faculty not use the default results settings. If you check the box next to Only Once After Each Attempt, students can see the feedback only immediately after taking a quiz. If you give them another attempt, when they return back to the quiz they won't see the results from the first attempt. Kona Jones wrote handy guide to the quiz settings that you may find helpful. 

Quiz Settings to Maximize Security 

marianna_pinter
Community Participant

How would your suggestion make possible deleting an attempt?

manningm
Community Novice

Another reason I am finding Canvas particularly clunky and non intuitive and not instructor-friendly. I made a mistake and linked a reading to the wrong quiz. Before I could correct the error or unpublish the test, 2 students had taken it, performed poorly. I can't delete their submissions, can't unpublish--imagine mass panic because my ONLY option was to close the test early and so students thought they made an error. Now I have no way to correct my bonehead mistake. The lack of instructor autonomy in this platform is ridiculous!

marianna_pinter
Community Participant

This topic is open for vote since 2015; still canvas did not care about to fix their mistake in the development of this feature. In general I find canvas is unforgiving for both students and instructors, the functionality of basic features is below the latest blackboard version I used last year. 

manningm
Community Novice

100% agree. 

steven_sproles
Community Explorer

Hi all!  I would very much like to see this as an optional feature.  Thanks!  -Steven

epulham
Community Contributor

I, too, would love to see this included in the next round of Canvas improvements.

jsimmons2
Community Explorer

I have a student who clicked on the wrong thing in the Module - resulting in a "Quiz Attempt" even though she immediately backed out and clicked on the proper item. She also notified her professor as soon as it happened.  In other every other LMS we've used, we had the ability to delete and attempt.  I cannot believe this feature is not available in Canvas - and when I asked for more information, they say items can only be removed if they violate FERPA.  We've got to get some traction on this item.

marianna_pinter
Community Participant

canvas just added a note to this tread in the heading section: basically they don't plan to do anything in 2019 . . . Bringing up FERPA here makes quite an creative response on behalf of canvas.