[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
EllenKoh
Community Novice

This feature is extremely important.

Please add this feature.

Thank you very much.

plaidradish
Community Member

How on earth has Instructure STILL not done anything about this critical element for instructors? This is a time-killer for me as an adjunct. I have to create a completely new quiz if a student mistakenly starts a quiz or chooses the wrong quiz. 

Please consider this request, ASAP.

John_Miller
Community Member

With online distance courses, students lose internet contact and get lower test scores. Enter a DELETE option for the instructor to remove that score from the students average grade. Moderating the test and adding more attempts or more time forces the instructor to not use the AVERAGE grade for multiple attempts.

PegChecchi
Community Explorer

Respectfully requesting that the delete attempt feature be added.  It's been about 5 years and the number of restless faculty is growing!  Please fix this. 

AmberKujath
Community Novice

This is critical for the mental health of students and faculty.  I beg you....please add the feature.

mary_anderson
Community Explorer

This will be my 2nd time posting. I really do not understand how Canvas can be sending out updates and new features, but never even acknowledge this forum request after 5 years?  Who do we need to contact to get anyone to pay attention and work on this request.  This is needed more than some of the other 'tweaks' they are putting out.

Mr-Robertson
Community Explorer

We REALLY need this functionality. It seems strange to request this as a Feature, when it's so essential. Many people have listed the reasons.

Let me give another example. I give a quiz that allows 2 attempts, averaged. Even if nothing goes wrong technically (internet, power, student doesn't accidentally start an extra attempt), I sometimes want to add a 3rd attempt and drop the lowest previous attempt. 

Since I can't delete the low score, I need to allow the 3rd attempt, then manually adjust the low score to the average of the other 2 so that the student earns the correct grade. I teach Computers in middle school. I'm not trained in the sophisticated coding required for the back end of Canvas, but can someone at least tell us why it's so complicated to add the ability to delete an attempt? 

I could do this in Schoology, and if memory serves, even back in Moodle, about 10 years ago.

cbixel
Community Member

Add this feature.  Anyone who has ever taught a class knows that this is a needed feature.

LizAllgood
Community Explorer

It's funny how the competition has had this feature for as long as it's been requested on these forums. I've read back to 2015....if blackboard can do this on both ultra and original (ultra is seriously lacking some features) then canvas definitely should be able to. 

We are switching from blackboard to canvas and the lack of basic features like deleting attempts on quizzes and assignments both, can leave a bad taste in professors mouths....

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.